Zambuto vs. Royce vs. an astro club member

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dpwoos

dpwoos

Apollo

• Loc: United States

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Let's not forget that there may be one or more members of our local astro clubs that produce excellent mirrors, in addition to the many other fine mirror makers with established businesses. In fact, with some (considerable) practice a person looking for a great mirror can make one for themselves. I bet even Carl Zambuto himself would hate to see his name and work turned into some kind of cult.

#2 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Right and a great example is Dan Joyce. He has had an optical shop in the Chicago area for decades and offers mirror making classes to anyone who wishes to make a mirror. He just had some high school students in his shop the other day wanting to make a 10 inch from their blank. There are a number of locals who have made many mirrors with Dan.

#3 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Dick Parker runs a mirror workshop in Connecticut that turns out awesome mirrors. Several years ago he was flown to Turkey to do a mirror workshop.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I've turned the idea over in my head from time to time and I would t bother with anything but a big mirror like 12" to 20". But when I learned of the sheer mountain of hours involved between hogging out the glass and such. It kinda killed it for me. Bless anyone whose got the time but between two jobs I can't swing a 300-500 hour chunk of life on such a thing . And smaller mirrors I have no need for. I regret its too much to take on. I have a fine hand for those kinds of things too.

Pere

#5 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

How about Gordon Waite. I have one of his mirrors and it is superb!

#6 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

has anyone compared a Zambuto against a Waite mirror? ... contrast?

#7 dpwoos

dpwoos

Apollo

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

As demonstrated in many other threads, I am a regular and vocal advocate for the value of top-notch optics/mirrors. However, I have to wonder if myth is starting to overtake reality. It is hard enough to make a reasonable/scientific case for the value of super-duper vs. simply diffraction limited, but claiming to be able to see the difference between a super-duper and a super-super-duper starts to sound crazy, even to me. I have nothing against falling in love with the idea of owning an optic from x or y or z maker, and the fact that certain names come to provide added value is probably a function of human nature - some kind of craving for a simplifying shorthand/proxy? My point is that there are a lot of great mirrors being made by a lot of different folks, and sometimes in one's own club. I am confident that any one of these will do its part in transforming the wavefront from a distant target into a smile!

#8 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I sure there are ATMers who make excellent mirrors but I'll never be one of them. I would go Hulk long before the mirror was finished. So I've got a 11" F/5 Zambuto on order. David

#9 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

However, I have to wonder if myth is starting to overtake reality.

I've felt that way for several years now.

#10 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've turned the idea over in my head from time to time and I would t bother with anything but a big mirror like 12" to 20". But when I learned of the sheer mountain of hours involved between hogging out the glass and such. It kinda killed it for me. Bless anyone whose got the time but between two jobs I can't swing a 300-500 hour chunk of life on such a thing . And smaller mirrors I have no need for. I regret its too much to take on. I have a fine hand for those kinds of things too.

Pere

Unless you get the pre-generated blank. No hoggin necessary.

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Gemini

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Right and a great example is Dan Joyce. He has had an optical shop in the Chicago area for decades and offers mirror making classes to anyone who wishes to make a mirror. He just had some high school students in his shop the other day wanting to make a 10 inch from their blank. There are a number of locals who have made many mirrors with Dan.

I had one of Dans 8" F/6.7 mirrors and it was one of the best 8" optics i have ever owned.

Chas

#12 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

has anyone compared a Zambuto against a Waite mirror? ... contrast?

Rob Teeter built an amazing scope for me around a 12 inch gordon Waite Mirror. He also was coompleting a 12.5 with Zambuto Primary. In a side by side comparison he felt this particular Waite mirror was the equal for that particular Zambuto. Here is a link to his post:

Waite versus major Mirror Make Mirror

In the interest of full disclosure. gordon built this particular mirror for his persoanl scope and used it for 5 or 6 years (as I recall). He was going bigger/faster and I had the good forutne to purchase it from him. It is a "work of art" (quoting Rob) built on 1 inch thick pyrex, mounted on an 18 point floatation cell with a Howie Glattor sling.

#13 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

It's really more about the consistency. Even when you talk to Carl, you can tell his heart is devoted to the craft of making quality mirrors. Kennedy is the same way.

#14 dpwoos

dpwoos

Apollo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think this is correct - the value in a name/brand comes from ALWAYS producing a top-notch product. No one need worry about the quality of the optic, as simply knowing who made it is enough. This certainty comes with a cost, both to the producer and to the consumer. I think that some producers don't know how to do it any other way - I always tried to convey to my sons that doing a good job is a way of life.

#15 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I think that some producers don't know how to do it any other way - I always tried to convey to my sons that doing a good job is a way of life.

I really like that. I think this is one of the things that has kept the German economy in decent shape ( that and not spending beyond their means). Of course to keep quality producers alive, we must insist on buying quality.

#16 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Why buy quality when their is cheaper "*BLEEP*" available?
That thinking has become been the American way and has spawned the proliferation of such things as fast food industry, big "box" stores, chain stores, etc..

#17 dpwoos

dpwoos

Apollo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

In fact, I think that our culture values BOTH quality and quantity, and our desire for more and more stuff makes it harder and harder to afford good stuff. The great thing about America is that the society is constantly and relatively rapidly changing, and so who knows how this conflict will play out? I am optimistic by nature, and so think that Carl Zambuto et. al. will never lack for customers! In my case, I find myself increasingly disinterested in having more stuff of any kind, and more interesting in encouraging kids to think (e.g. about the number 1). Some folks think that I think too much, but I don't think I do.

#18 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

The reason I'm getting a newt is to aquire a top notch optic of some size. If I was only interested in going up in aperture it would have made more sense and would have been a lot less expensive to sell my very good C-9.25 and get a C-11 Edge CPC. David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics