• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gerfmon

gerfmon

Explorer 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Longmont, CO

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hi all, have a question about the Jaegers Objectives from Surplus Shed. Does anyone know how bad the edge chips are on the "seconds"? Bad enough to effect image quality? Or should this tight wad spend the extra bucks for a "perfect" objective? :)

I just finished a home built 80mm f/15 scope using a Towa lens. Love the scope, love the views. But now I'm thinking 4 inch f/15. I'm hooked on the tight, beautiful star views from a long focal length scope. :)

Thanks

#2 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I would have the CR rep e-mail you a photo so you can see what if any chips there are.

#3 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I got the 83 mm F/15 and the 103 mm F/15 during the last sale. They are firsts though, not seconds, and they are beautiful glass. I am currently working on the 83mm (its going into a 75mm Unitron tube with a Unitron focuser to become an 78mm F/16 "Jaegertron." Started to design the lens cell for machining out of aluminum today in fact. The 103 mm will wait for summer, but my goal is to build it on the plan of a brass and black Victorian/Steampunk scope somewhat similar to the F15 Skylight Telescopes.

My advice would be to buy firsts rather than seconds but wait for one of their sales. I got both achromats for $155 including shipping by doing that.

#4 gerfmon

gerfmon

Explorer 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Longmont, CO

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Think I'll probably go ahead and spring for one of the perfect objectives..and pray I don't clamshell it getting it into the objective cell. :) I'd like to wait for a sale to come along, but the Jaegers are "limited quantity". With my luck they'd run out, and I'd miss out just like I did with the super rated Carton objectives from a couple of years ago.

Thanks

#5 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I have a 102mm F15 and really like the scope. Made a collimatable cell used a 4.5" aluminum tube with a used GSO focuser. Spent less than $300 for the whole thing. Made a cell for a 83mm Jaegers lens and that is in process. Problem is, I have soooo many 80mm refractors and lenses, may just have to sell that one.

#6 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

the super rated Carton objectives from a couple ofdid yeWith my luck they'd run out, and I'd miss out just like I with ars ago.If that ain't the truth. Strike while the iron's hot!! :smirk: Mike

#7 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

• Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I bought a 103mm f/15 "second" from SS a few weeks ago. I honestly had a hard time finding blemishes on the lenses, though I think there were two tiny ones. I suppose for those looking hard enough, yes, there would be what is considered a couple of tiny flaws in both lens elements. I felt like they were non-issues, at least from a visual inspection standpoint from my perspective. I have yet to test the lens, but appearance-wise, it certainly appears darn close to perfect to me, despite being a "second." That said, I believe their site does state that the best ones will go out first, so sooner is going to net you a better set of optics, I'd think.

#8 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Most of the SS Jaegers lenses I have are good I did get one dud 83mm F15 but Fred changed it out for me without a problem. My 4" F15 is good but not perfect. It's super smooth with no astigmatism, but it is a bit under corrected for SA. Hard to quantify, but probably around 1/6 wave or so. The lens produces superb images in any case. Have a 6" F10 still wrapped up. Got that during a big sale. Bought some 6061 to make a cell, just need some time.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics