Photo

Cloudy Nights and Astronomics will not be at NEAF.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

this year.

The timing of the event will not allow Astronomics to be at NEAF this year. It will probably have this effect for several years as I am back in school getting a film degree and the show falls during the last week to turn in projects, or the week before finals. I was unable to attend the show in 2012 or make the Arizona show for the same reasons. We also have several other factors about not making it all having to do with personnel.

1. Adam L, that has helped for the past three years, is back in school getting his MIS degree.
2. Mike L, already has plans that can't be broken that weekend.

So that literally leaves us with nobody to man a booth or run the webcast.

I know NEAF will still be the same great event it has always been and I hope everyone goes and has a great time.

Mike Bieler

#2 wkovacs

wkovacs

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Atlantic

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Sorry to hear that... :(

#3 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Rats. That's going to make shopping a bit different. I'm used to shopping at the 'Sears' of Astronomy stuff.
:(

#4 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I was looking forward to seeing you again, Michael. Dang namit. Hope you can make it there in 2014? I've made it about 5 straight years now. Best to you, the crew and your new facility.

#5 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

No NEAF CAM this year. :( :bawling:

#6 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I know, makes me sad too. I'm gonna miss talkin' to my peeps!

#7 Boot

Boot

wildly diverse musical tastes

• Loc: The Outernet

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

:bawling:

I was really looking forward to that.

#8 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

• Loc: Under the southern horn of the bull

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Ah well thats a shame, the webcam was how those of us outside the US got to experience NEAF.

On the other hand, may be I should try to make the trip in person. Hmmm.

#9 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• Loc: Bedminster,NJ USA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Mike & CN Staff,
If it only ends up being a staffing issue any of the future years I'd be glad to staff your booth. Would just not be able to work your booth the couple of hours when I'm doing NEAF stuff for RAC. Or if you let me know ahead of time I could tell RAC that I can't help out that year.

#10 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

It’s too bad that Astronomics won’t make it this year….. one of my favorite set-ups from the past few years.

I suppose it’s too late now, but I bet we could have gotten some frequent users of CloudyNights to volunteer to run the webcam, do walk-arounds, etc. I’d even bet that the NEAF organizers would have ‘donated’ a table for it, since it provides such ‘advertizing’ for the event.

Hopefully we’ll have plenty of attendees posting images and video.

#11 RAC-INC

RAC-INC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

To All,

The web-cam was a great way to bring NEAF to thousands of those individuals worldwide that could not come to our show for various reasons.
However, there is NOTHING like experiencing the show in person! If you have never been here, come see the BEST astronomy show on the planet!

For those that don't know, the show is totally run and manned by volunteers from the Rockland Astronomy Club.
YES, the largest show in the world is run, done and managed completely by volunteers.
The show itself, is public outreach. We supply tables to many local astronomy clubs and organizations free of charge! Most importantly, the profits from the show benefit and SUPPORT all the public outreach programs run and sponsered by The Rockland Astronomy Club.
These programs include childrens fairs, public star parties, school and other amateur astronomy and observing programs. We also give out free telescopes and scholarship awards to local deserving children.

The fee you pay to enter the show is put to work doing GOOD for astronomy for ALL!!!

So enjoy and support your hobby at the same time!! Come to the show and help us introduce the science and hobby of astronomy to EVERYONE!!

Respectfully,
RAC-INC

#12 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

The web-cam was a great way to bring NEAF to thousands of those individuals worldwide that could not come to our show for various reasons.
However, there is NOTHING like experiencing the show in person! If you have never been here, come see the BEST astronomy show on the planet!

That is not possible for a good many of us; even though we'd love to attend.

#13 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

More going on here than meets the eye.

#14 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Nothing above and beyond what we explained. We always paid $5000 a year for our spot then paid for badges for extra help. Plus we paid a few thousand for the bandwidth and service that made it available to stream. After we shipped product, paid for airfare and hotel the total bill to stream from NEAF and have our commercial table was well over $10,000. ,We never asked for a free table nor would we have accepted one. While some astronomy clubs might get a able for free, as we are owned by a commercial company and accepting a free table just wouldn't feel proper. In the end the cost isn't the issue. It is a timing and manpower problem as stated months ago.

#15 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

More going on here than meets the eye.

Jeez gang.....Astronomics has had a HUGE year, completion of their new showroom, Inventory and staff, plus hosting CN.......on and on.....

I think their explanation is more than acceptable, IMHO.

Is it disappointing? Sure it is, but the world will continue to turn, and the sun will continue to shine.

Thank you Astronomics, for all you do, and your incredible contribution to the Astronomy community!

Andy

#16 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

A film degree? Are you leaving the astronomy trade?

/Ira

#17 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Nope. Just pursing something I love and something that will help us in the direction we want to go as astronomics.

#18 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

How am I supposed to buy my Astro Voyager tripod:(

#19 Don O'Cain

Don O'Cain

Explorer 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Bummer,I loved the live feed and interviews.I was truly looking forward to that.
Oh well it's tweet time I guess.I hate tweeting.

Bummer.

#20 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

<< Just pursing something I love and something that will help us in the direction we want to go as astronomics. >>

I have a funny feeling with Mike's film knowledge, future live web casts will soon approach the quality of the best Hollywood film studios.

#21 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Mike if you become a famous Hollywood Director that's going to play all hell with your commitments to astronomy. But, if you could get Olivia Wilde to pose with the Televue eyepieces I would be much obliged, and find room in my heart to forgive these NEAF absences.

#22 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

I must be the only remaining regularly active member of the Cloudy Nights forums to have remained blissfully unaware of this situation until today!

I was SO looking forward to the "live broadcasts" as I've done for the past five years, as it's the only way I can actually SEE and HEAR some of the faithful servants and great characters involved.

I'm really going to miss all that this weekend.

That said,I fully understand the reasons given and wish Mike and Astronomics all the very best for the future.

Kenny

#23 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

I must be the only remaining regularly active member of the Cloudy Nights forums to have remained blissfully unaware of this situation until today!

Nope, I just found out about it now, while looking for a link for this years webcast. Too bad, I enjoyed it for many hours last year. It was excellent. Oh well. Thanks for doing it in the past, hope you can continue next year somehow! :undecided:

#24 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

I wish I was there running the webcam again for you all, my people. I miss it! :bawling:

#25 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Missed you too, Steph. :grouphug: Was really strange not to see the Cloudy Night's booth or Astronomics at the show this morning. :(

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics