Photo

Cloudy Nights and Astronomics will not be at NEAF.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

Dear CN and Astronomics, you guys have been the 'rock' at NEAF for us foreign/overseas astronomers, and have virtually given us remote 'free-pass' to this great event. I am very sorry to hear that your circumstances have not allowed you to be there for now - but I understand your reasons, and thank you for all your time, resources and hard work in previous years. Wishing you all the best, and I hope the NEAF situation might reverse sometime in the future, Cheers, Fox!

#27 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Now if Australia has a version of NEAF and is willing to provide free transportation..........I'll bring a camera....and a scope. :yay:

#28 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

<
Dear CN and Astronomics, you guys have been the 'rock' at NEAF for us foreign/overseas astronomers, and have virtually given us remote 'free-pass' to this great event. < I am very sorry to hear that your circumstances have not allowed you to be there for now - but I understand your reasons, and thank you for all your time, resources and hard work in previous years. Wishing you all the best, and I hope the NEAF situation might reverse sometime in the future, Cheers, Fox!>

Well said! - Hear Hear !

Kenny

#29 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

We always paid $5000 a year for our spot then paid for badges for extra help.

Wow, that's amazing.
If every vender pays a similar sum, it must add up to a considerable chunk of change.
Where does that money go?

Steve

#30 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Paying for facilities, table rental, security, speakers, general staff. I don't think it is a major money maker and the booths have a pricing structure. 12 premium booths run $4800 for the location we were at. Booths can be had for as low as $200.

#31 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

From the post I have read it seems Astronomics was very much missed.
Hope you get to make it next year.

Steve

#32 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

As long as I don't have any projects due it shouldn't be an issue as far as going.

#33 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

I went to NEAF last year and its great but cost me a lot of money! Airplane, car and 20 dollars to go in. I dont go this year and bought several good eyepieces.

#34 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

I looked up the price and typically for a 10x10 space its $300, very small for such a show, you can spend almost that much on a flea market table for a 2 day weekend here in the New York area.

where does the money go, in past years no one knows cause it was a private venture ran by one person, even though it was thru RAC.

Now RAC is a non-profit, run by a board of directors and their numbers in attendance, what was collected, spent will be known.

#35 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Steve

My guess would be the community college. NEAF takes over their largest facility and auditorium, a big chunk of their parking, and remember: it’s all union labor needed for the prep, etc. It’s also just outside of NYC, one of the costliest areas in the world, in a wealthy neighborhood.

#36 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

Steve

My guess would be the community college. NEAF takes over their largest facility and auditorium, a big chunk of their parking, and remember: it’s all union labor needed for the prep, etc. It’s also just outside of NYC, one of the costliest areas in the world, in a wealthy neighborhood.

No, it goes to the RAC. They are a non-profit now and they will have to account for what happens to the money. I've been told that any net profit will go to further public outreach to increase interest in our hobby, as well as make NEAF better.

#37 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Steve

No, it goes to the RAC. They are a non-profit now and they will have to account for what happens to the money. I've been told that any net profit will go to further public outreach to increase interest in our hobby, as well as make NEAF better.

Well, I'm sure it "goes to RAC" *first*, but the college will end up with the biggest bite of money. In today's environment, there is no way a publically funded school is going to give up such a huge chance for money.

It's interesting that vendors can't even bring their own chairs; you have to rent the school's. Also the cost for an AC hookup to run one PC was more than I spend on my all-electric house for two weeks!

#38 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Gosh, just wondering if Meade Instruments was there?
Have not seen the setup nor their scopes available.
Can someone help me and post some pictures?
Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics