Has anyone buit an Alt Atz Mount before
Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:25 PM
I have an Orion Express 80 and I am having trouble with it. I was planning on using the mount from a Celestron 102 GT (with beefed up tripod legs from a larger Celestron Nexstar mount) to use this thing. Trouble is the Nexstar mount broke down after about 5 minutes..I only had $30.00 into this mount so no foul for me!
I am short of funds for astro toys right now. (Two brake jobs and a piano to buy for my little one) I have the following resources.
1) The large aluminum tripod from the Nexstar- similar to what would be on a nexstar 5
2) a couple of nice velbon camera tripods that are just too darn small. The one I can can use for canabilization has a geared center post. The tripod head is nothing to write home about however.
3) Dovetail bar for the Express 80 - although it natively accepts camera tripods
4) Parts from the 102 GT mount-most specifically the vixen saddle which is removable by using a bolt. Its a circular piece of metal with a center bolt with the saddle on it.
5) An extensive collection of woodworking tools
6) The scope which appears to be a beauty with excellent optics and is complete except for the mount.
I need ideas....How can I shake real hard, add some work, and come up with a usable tripod. I have considered a pipe mount but I am afraid that it woudl be too heavy. Any mount pictures out there?
Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:59 PM
Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:00 PM
Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:03 PM
Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:34 PM
Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:55 PM
Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:52 PM
Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:35 AM
The tripod head and crutches weigh only 5 pounds and I sat on the thing to see if it would hold up. I think 200 pounds for a tripod that cost me next to nothing, has to be pretty good.