• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Vanguard

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Norme,

Excellent YouTube video. Of course, this makes my call for a national, across the board GMT-0:30 all the more appealing. Quite frankly, if we did it, I suspect the rest of the civilized world would follow suite. Why would their citizens not be worth removing the productivity-losing, sleep disruptive folly of revolving DST times?

GMT-1 wouldn't work because kids would, in the Winter, literally go to school in the dark. Plenty would be going in early dawn light at -0:30, but it wouldn't be pitch black, whereas, all the country would enjoy not having the time change silliness. The other countries would follow suite, and the coordination of meetings lamented about in the video would certainly end for the USA, and soon end for most everyone else. Oh well, a fellow can dream (or at least be groggy at work!)

#27 michalh

michalh

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest, USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

And the sun will never cross the meridian at noon! :bawling:

I'm reading this thread with some amusement. Here in Indiana we just began "celebrating" DST. Even worse, when they chose which time zone we'd follow, they chose eastern. The sun crossed the meridian at my home at 1:03PM today; this summer it will be more like 2PM. Incredible how disconnected we've become from natural time.

#28 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

I wish they would either have it year around, or not at all.

I vote for not at all.

#29 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Who started this thing anyway, they don't have it anywhere else on the globe do they?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=84aWtseb2-4

In the spirit of full disclosure, I like DST and don't think it should be in effect year-round. In my opinion, the latest change puts the change "to" too early and "from" too late, but I live pretty far west in my time zone, so the effect here is worse than in most places. I've liked Astronomy all my life but have other interests as well. I enjoy the extra evening daylight for them but don't like routinely going to work while it's still dark (like probably most other people). It's always interesting to watch the webosphere go ballistic when we change to and from DST, though.
:gotpopcorn:
The video makes some good points, but got the reason we do this in the summer and not in the winter completely wrong. It's not in the summer "because the weather's nice", it's in the summer because the sun rises earlier and most people in the temperate regions are sleeping through more than an hour of perfectly good daylight. Hawaii doesn't observe DST because they're close enough to the equator that the length of daylight doesn't change enough to make it worthwhile (similarly for Northern Brazil - that makes perfect sense), not "because the weather's nice all year".

Almost everyone who enjoys outdoor activities (or at least deals with them like parents with kids in organized sports) loves DST. Except astronomers, farmers, and maybe outdoor movie aficionados.

But, please, please, please, don't suggest :30 time zones. Have you ever been in one?

#30 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Looking out the window and at 6pm. and it's still light out! A month ago I was out observing at this time....oh well still better at 7pm then when when daylight savings time comes in early March!

Even though I love to observe, I hate it getting dark before I get home from work. It's depressing, especially considering that here in Ohio it's usually dark and cloudy too, not to mention cold. I'd much prefer warmer weather with a little later sunset any day. I think that's why I like spring and fall the best.

Patrick

#31 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

they don't have it anywhere else on the globe do they?

Oh yes - its common in many countries

Invented in New Zealand by George Vernon Hudson - so he could go collecting insects after work!!! (this is true!)
Here is the proceedings after he read the original paper (1895) were he proposed the system - except he wanted a 2 hour shift

http://rsnz.natlib.g...8_00_006110.pdf

It was eventually adopted during WWI - to save artificial lighting resources. Good idea really - when awake use the sun for lighting - hum who would of thought of that :question:

I wish they would either have it year around, or not at all.

Back in the late 60's/early 70's the UK experimented with fixed DST all year for a short while. However the Scottish farming lobby eventaully killed it off and all subsequent attempts to try again (to better sync with France etc). Now if Scotland eventaully cede from the UK we might get a fixed all year time in the UK :) :)

#32 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Vanguard

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

SkipW,

Yes, I have been in one. I went to New Delhi from Thanksgiving to Xmas, 2010. India's got LOTS of issues (mostly early English Industrial types of poor air and public water), and they have an insane time system, one time zone across a country, east to west, about the distance of the 48 states. Still, Delhi's close enough to their theoretical 'center', that it was fine.

I agree GMT-0:30 sounds counter intuitive, but when you consider the considerable power the USA has influencing other nations, IMHO, if we did it, other nations would follow suite. Look, people have accepted GMT-1:00 since the beginning of GMT, what would be wrong with a permanent GMT-0:30 ultimately the world over? Getting rid of the sleep disruption would be a boon, economically, safety-wise, and for health puposes. By shifting to -:30, no one would ever have to change clocks again, and people get some of what they want (more afternoon light in the summer) without undully jeopardizing kids' safety in the Winter. And if the whole world ends up shifting accordingly, who'd care?

#33 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

I suppose it's a matter of getting used to it, and most people can get used to anything (except, apparently, DST :D), but the time I spent in Adelaide, South Australia, which for some reason is on a half hour, we were constantly confused about what time it was elsewhere - and I'm usually really good at that. I was going to not bother resetting my watch, but got tired of trying to figure out what time it was there. I never understood the reasoning behind those half-hour time zones and after experiencing one was convinced they're the work of the devil and should be banished by international law.

In my work we send teams to various parts of the world, including across the Date Line occasionally, and to Hawaii frequently. A lot of our coordination is done in UTC, but we've all gotten good at the shifting 1-hour deltas working between the mainland and Hawaii. The thought of widespread, but not universal, :30s sends chills up my spine, though. Ugh! Here's a compromise: keep the integer-hour time zones we (mostly) have now and shift GMT forward by half an hour.

Just say NO! to half-hour time zones.

#34 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Please no 30 minute zones. Newfoundland has it (GMT-3.5hr). It's charming, but what a pain when travelling. Everything from the mainland is off by a half-hour. Most (but not all) things are a half hour later.
I agree with SkipW on all his other points too.
Personally I would just like to get rid of the twice-a-year time shift. What a mess for all our real-time information systems. That funny gap and overlap each spring and fall.
Lastly, once retired who cares? When on holidays the sun is my clock.

#35 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

India ... has an insane time system, one time zone across a country, east to west, about the distance of the 48 states.

It's not as bad as it sounds. First of all, although India is a vast country it extends farther north-south than east-west. And of course time zones are much wider near the equator than they are at northerly latitudes. And with everybody asleep at midday, your sense of time is very different anyway. As Hindus would say, time is an illusion ...

The upshot is that I barely notice the time change flying from Calcutta to Bombay.

China, by contrast, really is insane, with a single time zone stretching across what ought to be four or five.

However, the half hour in India is definitely confusing. Just last week I bolluxed a Skype call to a friend in India because adding or subtracting 10.5 is so challenging.

#36 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Does anybody really know what time it is...
Does anybody really care
....about time;
If so, I can't imagine why----Chicago

#37 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

What early dark skies? We had ZERO clear nights for the entire month! February's forecast looks equally as bad! This is looking to be the worst winter we had here in years.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics