50 replies to this topic

#1 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

So I went silly and got myself a TS 50mm ED, and that for Visual mainly lol
This one is from TeleskopService but it comes from different brands (Stellarvue has it too)

Problem for me is to squeeze as much sky as I can out of casual opportunities, having no garden and no windows to speak of,
I decided to go crazy with portability figuring any sky is better than no sky.

I know that I will suffer major light loss in this little fellah and truly if all I get is a bit of crater on the moon I’m fine (at least that’s what I tell myself)
I’m sure I will get more though, after all with a 32mm I get the famous bino 10x50 and I know there are possibilities in that.

Portable it is. Hold your horses, I can fit the scope itself, a star diagonal, a 45° diagonal (ah the luxury), a 2.5x Barlow,
2 fixed eyepieces of choice, a red dot finder and a 8-24 zoom all in a Camera box no bigger than 12” by 9”
For mount I use a real cheap alu/plastic photo tripod and I’m good to go.
I do have a sturdier one but its heavy so I prefer the weight of the cheap one.

First light: A little curse for a little scope, tonight I got a fluffy sky with a rare hole in the cover here and there,
but enough to get a quick peak at the moon (Sharp as a whistle). The scope looks promising, so I'm happy.

I’m sure all of this has made some cringing going on, but did I mention.. it’s soo cute :grin:

Attached Files

#2 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

LOVE it. :waytogo:

-- Chris

#3 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

That is a cute little scope. hey, as long as you can observe with it, it doesn't matter. I kind of like it. Great for a quick grab a peak at the moon thingie.

#4 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

An adorable baby you got there! :waytogo: I'm with you 100% in the 'nifty fifty ultralight' club. My ABS plastic Galileoscope 50mm F/10 Achromat is actually one of of my favorite and most frequently used scopes, funny enough! It is just so convenient to keep it handy and to whisk it outside, especially for those times when I might just need a quick peek to satisfy me in between various errands and tasks (and for hunting down solar spots during the day with a Baader white light filter too, just something for you to think about in case you are not doing so already! :whistle:). Adding an Orion slow motion adaptor between the scope and the tripod (Baader sells almost the same one under the name witty I believe) has helped a lot. It is amazing what even a 50mm can show you. Aperture schmaperture!

#5 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Thanks guys

Ahh man I did look at the Witty and had it in my shopping cart but skipped it last minute due to the cause that it looked fiddly.
So that actually works, good to hear of it.
Darn now I just got to go shopping soon again, the drudge lol

A sun filter of sorts will come, in time though. I know next to nothing of solar observing especially the gear it entails
and need time to figure what’s best to get also it all looks kind of pricey so I don’t want to mess that up.
But one should have some sort of means to view our local star I guess.

#6 tnakazon

tnakazon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Yup, I love small scopes too. Portability rules.

My smallest scope in my arsenal of scopes (all 150mm or less) is also a 50mm Galileoscope, but it gives sharp views of the Moon and planets when used in conjuction with budget Celestron Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces.

Here is my scope at a bus stop in Helsinki (Finland), mounted on a lightweight Slik camera tripod. Easy to pack inside a backpack as carry-on luggage on trips to Europe.

Attached Files

#7 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Whenever I'm using a small scope and thinking the view would be better in a bigger one, I remind myself that Galileo would probably have killed kittens to look through any of my scopes.

#8 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

:question:Hmmm, a top quality Baader white light solar filter for under 40 or so Euros shipped, that would give you crisp views of the surface of Sol right as we head into her peak activity cycle, and a whole subforum to get you going http://www.cloudynig...t/0/Board/solar (I am such a little devil on the shoulder, eh :roflmao:)
Let's just say you owe it to your new baby of the family there. He needs his occasional doses of vitamin D! :grin:

http://www.astro-eng...escopes/bino...
http://www.teleskop-...turers_id/92...
http://agenaastro.co...tml?dir=asc&...

#9 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

I know that I will suffer major light loss in this little fellah and truly if all I get is a bit of crater on the moon I’m fine (at least that’s what I tell myself)
I’m sure I will get more though, after all with a 32mm I get the famous bino 10x50 and I know there are possibilities in that.

With a 10x50 binocular you'd get a significantly brighter and more contrasty image. That's what using two eyes does for you.

#10 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

Gert, that is a really nice setup and I'm sure you are going to enjoy it a lot. It also makes a wonderful compliment to your larger Newt.

Ed D

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

I’m sure all of this has made some cringing going on, but did I mention.. it’s soo cute

It is a cutie..

I will be interested to see how it works out for you. My experience with scopes around 60mm is that they provide enjoyable views but my eye misses the aperture of an 80mm.

Jon

#12 Cames

Cames

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Gert,
On crisp, clear winter nights when those with the large apertures cringe at the effect of the night’s turbulent atmosphere and its scintillation on their images, your brave little soldier will experience hardly a hiccup.

Be proud and confident that your 50 mm champion will deliver gorgeous star images and a velvety dark background that could be the envy of those tied to the behemoths even under adverse conditions. While they are calculating whether it will be worth the setup time, cool-down time and twinkle of the night, you have the advantage of agility. You can decide on a whim to take advantage of any clear sky. Remember the maxim: "If you aren't out there looking, you probably won't see anything".
------
C

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Wow, this would be a great travel scope setup. I saw many of those type camera tripods at Goodwill for $10.

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Wow, this would be a great travel scope setup. I saw many of those type camera tripods at Goodwill for $10.

There is quite a variation in Goodwill tripods.

Having used a number of "cheap" camera tripods, in the long run, a fine scope like this one deserves a decent quality mount, one that is smooth and stable. A scope like this needs a mount that works well at over 100x.

The Bogen 3001 is a good quality mount that shows up used that is popular among birders. My favorite is an old Hercules Quick-set Senior. It's an oldie but very well made and solid. I paid $5 for it at a garage sale. Not much money but in the time it took me to find it, I saw hundreds of tripods that were better left alone.

Jon

#15 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

There is quite a variation in Goodwill tripods.

Having used a number of "cheap" camera tripods, in the long run, a fine scope like this one deserves a decent quality mount, one that is smooth and stable. A scope like this needs a mount that works well at over 100x.

The Bogen 3001 is a good quality mount that shows up used that is popular among birders. My favorite is an old Hercules Quick-set Senior. It's an oldie but very well made and solid. I paid $5 for it at a garage sale. Not much money but in the time it took me to find it, I saw hundreds of tripods that were better left alone.

Jon

I have my AT72ED mounted to a Slik 700DX pro tripod on a Universal Astronomics Dwarf Star Mount. I really like the Dwarf Star it works perfectly.

Ken

#16 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Is it the scope or the Burger your trying to bring to our attention :)

#17 tnakazon

tnakazon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Is it the scope or the Burger your trying to bring to our attention :)

Both - I wanted to show that the GalileoScope makes a good travelscope and can be taken to exotic places. The Finnish burger was not bad, as I recall.

#18 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Both - I wanted to show that the GalileoScope makes a good travelscope and can be taken to exotic places. The Finnish burger was not bad, as I recall.

Finland is probably a little less exotic to Gert than to the rest of us, as he's just got to hop over Sweden to get there. :jump:

-- Chris

#19 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Looks like Fun! I built up a 50mm scope out of an old bino lens, fl maybe 200mm I was supprised what I could see thru it in my orange/red zone skys. Someday I plan on mounting it to my dob as a finder, but in the mean time it is a fun ultra-light scope. Here it is on a light photo tripod with a 12mm X-cel for about 16x power.

Attached Files

#20 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Cute! Way back when we used to build little scopes out of surplus photocopier lenses, so-called copy-scopes. I used this one for many years to track satellites.

Attached Files

#21 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

And here I thought my 65mm was small :lol: Nice little scope there. Congrats!

Attached Files

#22 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Size doesn't matter! :grin:

#23 Mxplx2

Mxplx2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PA USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Let's face it, we just like ALL scopes of any size, color, weight, power, price, etc, etc, etc.

#24 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Free State of Arizona

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Ok, here's my rig. :cool:

Attached Files

#25 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

And here I thought my 65mm was small :lol: Nice little scope there. Congrats!

I take it other things go on that big mount ;) ?

Neat to see this I was looking at the at 65's last night

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics