From the previous decade.

Attached Files

#2 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

If they can indeed resolve Cassini's division on Saturn, they must have mirrors made by ZOC.

#3 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Didn't know Orion sold a.knock off of the astroscan by Edmund scientific

#4 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Both these scopes were 3" reflectors, the Celestron version is still available if you look around. The Astroscan is vastly superior as it should be for more money however the Orion Starblst 4.5" is the best of the bunch in these low cost scopes,DA.

#5 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

If they can indeed resolve Cassini's division on Saturn, they must have mirrors made by ZOC.

I was sort of trying to be humerous, but I really feel that this is another example of false advertising. These scopes are simply not capable of resolving an image of Saturn such as the ones shown on the boxes, and I don't think it's right or fair, and would be very potentially disappointing to a young newbie.

imho, ymmv

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Guess we should stop using pretty ladies or handsome hunks in car commercials too....just ain't gonna happen...

It's also why we all here basically say stay away from Walmart scopes, the best views you will see are on the box.

By the way, I saw your "Goldeneye" stickers in another thread, did you ever get the scope completed yet?

#7 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Guess we should stop using pretty ladies or handsome hunks in car commercials too....just ain't gonna happen...

It's also why we all here basically say stay away from Walmart scopes, the best views you will see are on the box.

By the way, I saw your "Goldeneye" stickers in another thread, did you ever get the scope completed yet?

I am in posession of the stickers, for which I am grateful. The scope is kept in an unheated garage to reduce cooldown time, so I plan on putting the stickers on sometime after the winter.

Not sure if any additional mods are needed. I will pick up a chair and some new EP's at NEAF. The last time out, we saw 6 stars in the trapezium at 140x (pentax 8.5 XF)and split some 1-1.2 arc second doubles, and we were able to track at 300x near Dobson's hole.

Thanks 4 askin'

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I was sort of trying to be humerous, but I really feel that this is another example of false advertising. These scopes are simply not capable of resolving an image of Saturn such as the ones shown on the boxes, and I don't think it's right or fair, and would be very potentially disappointing to a young newbie.

imho, ymmv

At one time, I had both an Orion FunScope and a Tasco Rocket scope. As I recall both were 76mm @ F/3.7. I gave away the Funscope and removed the optics from the Rocketscope, made a finder and eventually it ended as a quick look scope which I still have.

The unusual proprietary eyepiece design was the big limitation but if the plastic tab were removed, standard 1.25 inch eyepieces could be used though focusing took some patience...

Jon

Attached Files

#9 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I did not know that either.

#10 tnakazon

tnakazon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

This old version of the Orion Funscope (or the Tasco Rocketscope) is hard to come by nowadays. It's still marketed in the UK and the Continent as the Skywatcher Infinity 76. As Jon knows, the main attraction of this scope is the 3-inch parabolic mirror.

Went to Dublin over the holidays and thought I could pick one up there, but the Republic of Ireland only markets Celestron scopes and nothing else. Even Ireland's largest astronomy showroom - Astronomy Ireland - carries only Celestrons.

Attached Files

#11 ed_turco

ed_turco

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Are those telescopes for cute kids or are they for kids who are somewhat less in the looks department.

Just kidding :)

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

I did not know that either.

It wasn't really a knockoff of the Astro-Scan. The Astro-Scan is a 4.5 inch F/4, these were an 3 inch F/3.7. The Astro-Scan had a real 1.25 inch focuser, the Rocket Scope and the FunScope had a 1.25 inch hole in the plastic with a plastic pin. The one eyepiece, a 9mm, had a helical groove that mated with the pin.

One could cut the pin off, file it flat and use standard eyepieces using the "rotate while slipping and sliding the eyepiece" focusing. At F/3.7, the depth of focus makes this difficult. I made one into a finder for my 16 inch Strut Dob but it didn't make a very good finder though it had it is cutie pie moments too.

Jon

Attached Files

#13 tnakazon

tnakazon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Are those telescopes for cute kids or are they for kids who are somewhat less in the looks department.

Just kidding :)

The title of the thread was a bit misleading - I was referring to the scopes, which were marketed specifically for kids. I think they look cute, but I'm more interested in the parabolic mirror of the old Orion Funscope. Don't know if the 80mm Explorascope has one though - I haven't looked through it yet. At least it has a collimatable primary mirror.

Attached Files

#14 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

I looked at the Astroscan some years ago, but am glad I saved my money and got the StarBlast 4.5. In fact I have two of them now.

#15 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

the Republic of Ireland only markets Celestron scopes and nothing else. Even Ireland's largest astronomy showroom - Astronomy Ireland - carries only Celestrons.

Strange ???

#16 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Well, Ireland was once home to the world's largest telescope.

#17 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Gee, those eyepieces look real safe in there, :lol:

Attached Files

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Gee, those eyepieces look real safe in there, :lol:

They are...surprisingly so. I have been doing this for more than 10 years without a mishap. The length of the eyepiece provides a locking action, they have to be nearly upside down for them fall.

It works for me, can't guaranty it would work for anyone else..

Jon

Attached Files

#19 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Wow! I never would have figured Jon! Well, if it works for you, great idea! In looking at it from the first pic, one would never think they were secure!

Cheers,

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

Wow! I never would have figured Jon! Well, if it works for you, great idea! In looking at it from the first pic, one would never think they were secure!

Cheers,

Like I said, I can't guaranty that it will work for anyone else, it really does depend on the fit of the eyepiece in the hole and different eyepieces may be different. In general, I make sure the tripod stays vertical so there is no way they can fall out but it's nice to know that that safety margin is greater than one might expect.

Jon

#21 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Jon,

That's a really cool little finder / reflector you had on your scope. Did it not work out? I once had thoughts about getting a 4 or 5 inch short tube reflector for a finderscope, but later trashed the idea because I thought it maybe too large and heavy.

Cheers,

#22 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Jon,

That's a really cool little finder / reflector you had on your scope. Did it not work out? I once had thoughts about getting a 4 or 5 inch short tube reflector for a finderscope, but later trashed the idea because I thought it maybe too large and heavy.

Cheers,

It didn't really work out. 3 inch, F/3.7 Newtonians are pretty messy off-axis, the field of view is poorly illuminated, when all is said done, a standard 9x50 finder works better.

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics