• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

Hi All,

Imaged Saturn this morning, the seeing was rather fast, typical of the effects of the jetstream but I was able to produce a couple of acceptable images. I have attached 1 742nm IR & 1 RGB data set.

There is an interesting spot in the RGB which I have measured in WinJUPOS to be at approx Lat +48 degrees L3 48 degrees. As my IR was 3 x 3min data sets combined & derotated and the RGB is 4 consecutive data sets over 23 min's combined & derotated, the time between the midpoint of the IR and mid point of the RGB is 21 minutes. I think there is a hint of the spot actually showing up in the IR as well when considering the amount of rotation that would have occurred between the IR & RGB.

Back on Dec 29th 2012 I imaged a similar spot, then it was at approx Lat +46 degrees, L3 39 degrees. Looking at the stated drift rate for that Lat given in WinJUPOS of .370 degrees/d that particular spot would have drifted 9.25 degrees which seems to line up nicely with the spot in this mornings data.

Thanks for looking
Regards
Trevor

Attached Files

#2 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

RGB

Attached Files

#3 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Nice work, Trevor. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your stuff this Saturn apparition. Since Saturn is so badly placed for us northerners, I think your images are probably going to be the most enjoyment I get out of it for quite some time. The spot is a great catch. Congrats.

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Trevor,

Excellent! I'm not sure how you guys even see those spots as I sure can't. :lol:

Paul

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

not sure how you guys even see those spots

Ditto...

Lovely images, Trevor.

Is this a remnant of the storm from last year? It appears to be a point from which a thin narrow band of Saturnian atmosphere formed that is of similar color. Or, something new? It is hard to tell what we are seeing. I heard remnants of last year's storm were still present.

Paul

#6 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Fantastic job Trevor!

#7 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Another fine image Trevor, a perfect blend of muted colors spans most of the northern hemisphere (where south is up). In the RGB image is the thin line on Saturn near the equator the shadow of the rings? The line I'm referring to is pencil thin.

Pete

#8 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks Jeff, for sure Saturn will be quite low for the Nth Hemisphere for years to come but you should take heart from the many stunning images that Damian Peach has made of Saturn at alts down to 30 degrees, it is possible.

Thanks Paul, for sure some of this fine detail is certainly hard to perceive. I have been involved with Cassini RPWS since Jan 2008 and have become obsessed with eeking out tiny spots on Saturn. Sometimes, even my researcher has had trouble seeing them and when they are very faint I animate data sets captured over an hour or so which will clearly demonstrate the difference between true detail & noise. I never started contributing Saturn data to PVOL until April 2008 but still currently have 728 Saturn images and approx 40 animations all of which I have scrupulously scanned for storm detail so I have had a fair bit of practice at this. I have been slack of late with my animations and have not uploaded any from 2012 yet to PVOL.

Thanks Paul, the remnant of the great storm still survives and is the quite thick bright band of material just above the dark polar storm, toward the bottom or Nth pole of the image. In fact, the spot is on the Southern or upper edge of the storm remnant (this image being orientated with Sth up). Interaction with the various counter rotating jet streams is dissipating the storm remnant, with some material migrating closer to the EZ and other material closer to the pole.

Thanks for your comment Michal.

Thanks Pete,I suspect it is a shadow associated with part of the rings. This data really is average at best and as imaging conditions improve I am sure this feature will become much better defined and easier to determine its origin.

#9 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

...so I have had a fair bit of practice...

Trevor, it is fair to say it is an understatement. Wonderful to know about your contributions. Thanks for sharing.

#10 martus

martus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Trevor,outstanding!

Regards,
martus

#11 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Trevor, awesome image! The RGB banding and colors are impressive. Very nice resolution on that white spot. Thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#12 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Trevor,
Terrific shots so early in the season, I can not wait to see your shots as the season progresses.

#13 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Great work from you Trevor. Keeping tabs on such small features is quite a challenge. Of course it would be grand if Saturn had another big eruption with you geared up and Saturn higher! Well done!

Glenn

#14 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I guess I will Saturn this year, when is it in opposition ???

#15 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Very nicely done Trevor! Excellent images and a challenging problem you are attacking there in documenting these small possible outbreaks, thanks for sharing the data and insights...

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

#16 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

You consistently produce terrific resolution images. Very fine image of a detail Id never see through my 8".

Pete

#17 Jason H.

Jason H.

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

Lookin' 'tastic Trevor! I was squeezing the fruit in my software here, lots of interesting details in there! It's going to be a fun Saturn season! :jump:

Jason W Higley

#18 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

Thanks Paul, the main goal of my planetary imaging has always been to try and produce data of scientific value more so than for the esthetic's, although given good seeing it is nice to come up with a result that compliments both.

Thanks for the kind words Martus.

Thanks Steve, appreciate your comments.

Thanks Mitch, I have high expectations for this apparition. Historically Feb, March, April & May have been very good months for imaging Saturn from my observatory out here at Broken Hill in the far west of NSW.

Thanks Glenn, have already had a reply back from my researcher regarding this spot and sadly no SED's are currently being detected so there is no new lightning storm, but I live in hope. Just never know what Saturn might have in store for us.

Hi Freddy, hope your move goes smoothly. Saturn will be at opposition in 2013 on April 28th so I hope you have time to get sorted and your gear setup at your new location for it.

Thanks Brian, Saturn has really turned it on over the last 4 or 5 years and amateur data is being relied on more than ever before by various professional research teams which certainly makes our efforts just that more significant.

Thanks Pete, when conditions improve, which they will, I expect much higher resolution than in this data.

#19 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Thanks Jason, yes, going to be a a fun Saturn season for sure.

#20 HANTO

HANTO

Apollo

• Loc: Unterallgäu, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Great shot, Trevor! Nice and smoothly processed!

Regrds
Torsten

#21 Paco Yepes

Paco Yepes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Córdoba (Spain)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Trevor is a fantastic image

regards

#22 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Torsten & Paco, appreciate your comments.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics