Photo

Tempted to sell CGE Mount

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

This is such a hard choice but I'm just so tempted to do it. I have had the mount for about 4 1/2 years. It is inside kept and probably only has about 50 nights out with it. Never really got to enjoy it as much as I would have liked. Anyways, last year I took it outside to use and the RA would not move. The motor died. I went ahead and got a new motor for it. I only took it out one night after I spent $400 to replace the motor. That night I found out my backlash was so bad I couldn't guide with it. I tried to get the backlash out but It seems like I either have it to loose or to tight and can't find an in between. So its been just about a year and it still covered in my bedroom. I could send it off to have it adjusted but that's more money I would have to sink into it. So I think I should sell it and let someone buy it that would get good use out of it. Let me know what you would do or If you might be interested in buying it. I just hate to sink more money into it and never use it :(

Thanks..

Ralph M.

#2 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Try to have someone in your area or local astronomy club help you get it adjusted, then you can keep it. They are great mounts that can handle a decent amount of weight.

#3 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

One of the best Celestron mounts in my opinion try to "save" it as Frank suggested ;)

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

You might consider sending it to one of the many hypertuners. You have to consider that if you sell it as is, you're not going to get much for it because of the problem your having. If you have it set up by someone that does this all the time, you'll have a very good mount.

David

#5 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys. If there was a local astronomy club near me it would be great :) I also thought about sending it to get hypertuned also but that means sinking another 400 into it. If I was to use it all the time I would do that but not having the time to use the mount make me not want to spend more to get the backlash out. The mount runs great but I guess just getting the auto guider to calibrate is the issue.

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

If it ain't working right, you won't get squat for it, used.

When Celestron was clearing these out they did a deal with opt, who sold an awful lot of them brand spanking new for $2600. That lowered the ceiling on the used prices for working units. I'd be surprised if a broken used unit would be worth $1000 even.

So think of it this way - if you get $1000 for passing your headache onto someone else, what will you buy for $1000 or less to replace it? If you spend more than you get for a replacement, then "that's more money".

I'd bet Ed Thomas could fix it for you, lickety split, and do the Bennett mod to future proof the mount aganst connection problems, and it would cost you less than selling and buying new if you want similar capacity.

I'd say sell it and take the bath only if you don't care about the money.

Regards,

Jim

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Here's the thing. $1000 in its state. The only thing you can get in that range is a Celestron AVX or maybe a used CGEM. Neither of which can match the CGE. But at least they weigh less.

A hypertune and Bennett mod would probably cost over $400. If you then sell it after, you can probably ask $2100 for it. CGE's go for $1900-$2000 without the Bennett mod. But then you'd get something vastly superior to any AVX or CGEM or maybe even a G11.

#8 Dixie

Dixie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK Latitude 53.3 north

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

It's probably in your interests to get it tuned up and then sell it if you want. The CGE's major weakness are the cables - I had to replace mine with the Bennett mod after the mount became un-useable. Celestron cut one too many corners for my taste with this otherwise sturdy mount.
Rich

#9 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

If you do decide to sell it, the timing seems to be important.

I listed mine in late November or early December both in the classifieds section here and AM. I haven't had any serious inquiries until very recently (and still haven't closed a deal with the person who's interested).

I have to imagine that the market is better after winter ends.

To kind of touch on what others have said, you will probably not get much for it, if it's so far out of adjustment that it doesn't work right. The cost of getting a hypertune might pay for itself and then some. Also, it will work so well after the hypertune, that you might not want to sell it after all.

#10 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

A hypertune and Bennett mod would probably cost over $400. If you then sell it after, you can probably ask $2100 for it. CGE's go for $1900-$2000 without the Bennett mod. But then you'd get something vastly superior to any AVX or CGEM or maybe even a G11.

Well over $400. $400 would barely cover the hypertune alone ($355 + shipping), then add another $300 or so for the Bennett cable conversion kit. If Ed Thomas at DeepSpaceProducts does the cable kit installation, then there would be an additional charge for that. The OP would be talking over $700 for what you propose. Would it be worth it? Only the OP can make that call.

#11 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I guess Dave is the only one who sees what I see about that and lets not include that I just paid about $400 for the motor. That where the backlash issue is coming from. Me replacing the motor. I wouldn't be buying a new mount so I'm not looking to sell it and replace it. I guess If I spend enough time with it I can get the backlash out then sell it. I had 2 ppl PM me to buy it, but what they offered is not really what I would take for it. If a good working one sells for 1800? I couldn't sell mine for I was offered after spending $400 on the motor.

#12 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Don't sell the mount over such a minor issue. Even if you were to sell the mount for the usual resale price you can't buy a mount with performance anywhere near that of a CGE without adding a grand or two. Spend some more time learning to perform this routine adjustment. It's true that the CGE has the least convenient method for this of any mount I've seen (and I've owned MANY mounts) but it is doable. If you master this procedure you will have (1) saved the mount and (2) gained a useful skill. It's a win-win situation. :jump:

#13 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Minority opinion - if you don't have to hold 60 pounds then sell it and get an iOptron iEQ45 as I did. For my AP load - around 30 pounds it works much better and takes 1/10 the time to set up. The whole trade will cost you $700 and you'll be happy as I am. There's nothing wrong with a CGE but it's ten year old technology. But, as I say, if you really need to run 50 pounds of weight for AP just suck it up and get it fixed. Mine was working perfectly and had upgraded cables to boot but after selling it a year ago I am really happy that I did so.
Rgrds-Ross

#14 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I will probably have it fixed then sell it. I just don't have the time to use it anymore. My scheduled makes it hard for me to get out at nights and when I'm able to get out at night it usually cloudy. So I think I might end up selling all my gear buy not 100% sure yet. It a really hard choice. If I keep it and I get the opportunity to take it out it will be there. On the other hand it just sits in a corner of the room taking up space.

#15 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Just an update. I had some time with the mount the other day and it seems I might have got it. I did a quick test and RA and DEC seem to be good now. I hope I'll be able to get it out one night and see if the autoguiding part works again. Thanks for the support all :)

#16 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Good to hear.

#17 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Got it out last night and seem to be doing good :). I was guiding 2 min's in PHD and was fine until my computer crashed. Now after allot of discussion with the wife, I think it's time to see it :(. My new question is do I piece it out or sell it as a package? Meaning do I sell Mount, Tube and focuser as a complete kit. I have the original mount box. I have the foam that came with the tube but not the box. Should I try to sell local 1st on craigslist? I'm just gonna get out of the hobby due to work schedule and time.

#18 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Got it out last night and seem to be doing good :). I was guiding 2 min's in PHD and was fine until my computer crashed. Now after allot of discussion with the wife, I think it's time to see it :(. My new question is do I piece it out or sell it as a package? Meaning do I sell Mount, Tube and focuser as a complete kit. I have the original mount box. I have the foam that came with the tube but not the box. Should I try to sell local 1st on craigslist? I'm just gonna get out of the hobby due to work schedule and time.

You will probably get your best price by listing on CN and/or Astromart, but you will probably have to deal with shipping which is easy with the mount, but more risky with the scope. I would sell the mount and scope separately (I don't recall that you said what scope it is). I think most people are looking for one or the other but not both unless maybe it is a C14 and you list it at a very good price.

#19 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thanks Ed,
It's a 9.25 Scope with the top rail and Rings. I think I might keep the SV66 I have but sell everything else. I see that there's a CGE on there now for 2250 but that seems like too much for mine. It has low amount of hours on it and a mew motor (Still can't believe they cost $400).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics