• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

i purchased a 12 volt battery at atwoods a while back for my se mount. i was going to buy another one for a new cg5 i had purchased. atwoods was out so i went to radio shack, they had one for around $40 with tax, i was shocked!!! after i got online and pulled up a dealer that sells these batteries for $7.50 plus tax total about $15. just wonder how some of these companies stay in business. donnie

#2 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

• Loc: Westchester, NY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

"There's a sucker born every minute." (PT Barnum)

#3 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

larry, your right about that, im trying to rig another battery for my cg5. the male jack that i used came off an old 12v supply that i had. i just cut it off and put connectors on the other end and attached it to the battery, worked out just fine. now i need another male jack so i will go to that high dollar store and purchase one. my question is, how do you tell if the center of the jack is positive or negitive. the negitive will fry your mount and i dont wont that to happen. thanks, donnie

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

i purchased a 12 volt battery at atwoods a while back for my se mount. i was going to buy another one for a new cg5 i had purchased. atwoods was out so i went to radio shack, they had one for around $40 with tax, i was shocked!!! after i got online and pulled up a dealer that sells these batteries for $7.50 plus tax total about $15. just wonder how some of these companies stay in business. donnie

That's just like saying that I could buy a car down the street for $7000, but at the dealer they sell cars for $40,000. I don't think the '12 volt batteries you are comparing are 'the same thing'.

Stan

#5 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

i remember when i was young and had just purchased my first home. i was looking for a couple stands for my tv's. i went to walmart and they did not have any at the time so in stead of waiting i went to another store that had just what i was looking for, couple weeks later i was shopping at walmarts and came across the very same stands, same label, same maker for exactly 1/2 price.this may not be the case all the time but it does pay to shop around unless your rich and moneys no object.

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Batteries aren't quite as simple as TV stands. The voltage is stored on the lead plates. The more the plates, the thicker the plates the more energy is stored. The more plates, the thicker the plates, the more the battery cost. If you want a good judge of battery quality, weigh the battery. I will guaranty you that the $7.50 battery weights substantially less than the $40 battery. I was just never one to try and take the cheap way out when it comes to equipment I tend to depend on in the field. That goes for people too.

Stan

#7 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

+1 for heavy batteries! That's absolutely true, weight is a good rule of thumb to measure the quality of a battery.....my back is mad at me for only having high quality batteries:)

#8 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

70 dollar marine battery from advance auto runs my mount for 40 days without needing a charge...
It's all a scam, a 40 dollar lawnmower battery will run your mount for 3 weeks...just sayin...12 volts is 12 volts.

#9 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

learning is the key to understanding things. thats why people ask questions on forums like these. im NOT a cheap preson, just wont the most for my dollar. if i find that a 40 dollar battery is the best way to go, thats what i will pay and be happy with it. its nice to know something about these batteries that i did not know before, thanks for the info, i ask about the male jack and how to tell if the center is positive or negitive, does anyone know. would appreciate. thanks, donnie

#10 andysea

andysea

Apollo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Excellent! I will have to get a couple of those batteries. My 105ah marine batteries don't run for 40 days at all with the laptop, dew heater camera and mount hooked up to them. I would be happy with a week but 40 days sounds even better. Do you have a link to the product?

#11 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

"...12 volts is 12 volts." Ignorance is bliss.

Stan

#12 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Excellent! I will have to get a couple of those batteries. My 105ah marine batteries don't run for 40 days at all with the laptop, dew heater camera and mount hooked up to them. I would be happy with a week but 40 days sounds even better. Do you have a link to the product?

You should get some extra batteries anyway. You shouldnt run your mount, dew heater, laptop, and camera on the same battery. At least get a seperate battery for your mount to avoid it shorting out from a voltage spike!

#13 andysea

andysea

Apollo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Yep I have one 18ah battery for the mount alone. One 105 ah for the camera alone and one 105 ah for the computer and dew heater. Three battteries total. Power to the mount and the ccd is regulated. However I still can't go more than two or three full nights. 40 days without charge would be a dream!

#14 jacktechie

jacktechie

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

... i ask about the male jack and how to tell if the center is positive or negitive, does anyone know. would appreciate. thanks, donnie

The plug is the male end that goes into the fixed panel side of equipment (female).

The center will be positive if and only if that is what the equipment it goes into requires. You need to find out by looking at your existing power wart, looking in the documentation, or asking people who have the same gear. Most are center positive - some are not.
Jack

edited for grammar.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics