• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Canada 43*N 80* W

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I was very tempted to get maybe the 7mm. I figure if I 2xbarlow the 9mm I have that should be good enough for me for a while.
A bit confused why you all need each one, all 4 ? Is there that much difference between the 7 and the 9mm ? or the 5 and 6, or 7mm ??
Just curious as I think one or two TMB's is good enough.

I use the 6,7,8,9mm TMB's with a Orion shorty 2x barlow or 1.5X if you unscrew the the lens off the barlow and screw it on to the eyepiece. (learned this on CN)
Gives you plenty of differant fl's and since the seeing is usually variable sometimes as little as 25X less or more power can make a differance as REC mentioned.
Sam

#77 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Vagrant thought....do you use your eyepieces to look at the stars, or do you use the stars to look at your eyepieces?? :question:

:roflmao:

#78 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I use my eyes to look at both...... :lol:

#79 hottr6

hottr6

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Before you get potentially the wrong eyepiece, attached is the current model TMB that we have had for the past two years. The old solid rubber body pictures showed up after the new site went live in September. We have not had those for over two years. If that is the style you want, then that is not the one you will get. The split ring is the current model and the picture was one I just pulled from stock a minute ago.

Michael,

I am glad that you have adequately described the two models as "solid rubber body" and "split ring". When I placed my order, I thought I was getting "solid rubber body", and as you have correctly stated, I received "split ring". My existing 6mm is a "solid rubber body" and existing 5mm a "split ring", so when your shipment arrived, I had 2x5mm "split ring".

I believe the issue is now closed, as your company has simply said you will replace the 5mm "split ring" with a 6mm "split ring".

Anyone need a 6mm "solid rubber body"? :lol:

#80 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Anyone tried out their new TMB PIIs yet? I picked up one of the 6mm but endless supply of clouds has kept me from trying it out. Never looked thru one before, but this is the first EP I have purchased that has the end of the barrel blackened. I like that. I wish all EPs were like that.

#81 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

I got a a little bit of light in my 8mm this evening. Started off the evening with Jupiter and it looked pretty good in my 12mm so I decided to pop in the 8. View was still pretty good but coming in and out of focus due to mediocre seeing. When the image was crisp it was a great view though. One of the moon's shadows was visible and it was a well defined sharp disc when seeing was good. I'm looking forward to a night of excellent seeing with this eyepiece because it seems like it is going to perform admirably. Eye relief is great, contrast seems good, image is very sharp when seeing permits and the FOV is magnificent for that high of power in my scope. I don't have tracking so it's nice to have Jupiter take its time wondering across the view rather than my old 8mm where it took up almost the entire FOV and sped right across.

Also tried it out on a planetary nebula, too lazy to go to my car and get my notes, that I believe was in Pyxis, one of the Herschel 400. Once again seeing kind of limited this view, but it performed well here too for the conditions. Shape and texture were visible as well as a hint of blue color. So this seems like it might also make a decent high power DSO eyepiece as well.

#82 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

"So this seems like it might also make a decent high power DSO eyepiece as well."

I was hoping this would turn out to be the case. If only we could get a good clear night around here. Weather for an entire month has been almost all clouds.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics