• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#26 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

4) These star diagonals may have a misaligned mirror. To test that, if you don't know how to do it off the scope, make sure your SCT is well collimated with a 10mm eyepiece straight through (no diagonal in place).
In the northern hemisphere, Polaris makes a good collimation star. Then, place the star diagonal on the scope and check collimation again. If you see a lack of collimation, try loosening the setscrew on the diagonal and tipping it slightly. If this improves the star image, sometimes a thin aluminum shim between the star diagonal body and the tube into which it inserts will do the trick. In this way, the scope can be as well-collimated with and without the star diagonal. Remember to always bring the test star to the center of the visible field before testing collimation.

Don thanks for this tip, but I'm curious, is this a common problem with this particular diagonal, or do you think these are "blems or seconds"? Thanks Bob

It's a common problem with ALL Chinese mirror diagonals in 2".
I don't think they're blems. I think they're surplus from what came standard on the larger SCT scopes.

#27 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

My WO and Meade diagonals of this type seem spot on collimation wise. I've used them a lot with very good-excellent seeing and nothings amiss. I like them better than the OPT 2" diagonal that has sharp edges anda funky set screw in a slot 1.25" adapter. The OPT's optiocs are the equal of the others. David

#28 Toddeo

Toddeo

Lift Off

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info on the Meade deal, I just placed the order- cant beat a deal like that!!!!

#29 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

[quote name="Starman1"][quote][quote]

[/quote]
It's a common problem with ALL Chinese mirror diagonals in 2".
I don't think they're blems. I think they're surplus from what came standard on the larger SCT scopes. [/quote]

Thanks Don

#30 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

"Order Status: Shipping Soon
Your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed. Your order should ship within the next business day."

:waytogo:

#31 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Yes, this is a 24mm 82AFOV UWA eyepiece. The outer housing screws up and exposes some grease and it does freeze or get stiff in cold temps, so I just keep it up in cold temps when I am observing with it. Views are good in UWA, and the raised outer housing does block stray light.

ES version does not have the outer housing, which many consider a benefit (smaller, no grease).

Price looks very good for the combo sale. Enjoy!

#32 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I always collimate refractors straight-through, without a diagonal in the focuser. Before I observe, I check the collimation with the diagonal. If I the collimation is off, I fiddle with the setscrews or wedge it if necessary to improve the collimation. If I can adjust the diagonal itself, that's even better. I suppose that's how I should proceed with collimating my SCT?

All of this would be easier if I didn't have to wait until I'm out in the dark to collimate. I can collimate refractors and Newts in broad daylight or in my house if I want to. Actually it's EASIER then. Isn't there some way to collimate SCTs accurately without a star test?

Mike

#33 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

faackanders2,

Yes, this is a 24mm 82AFOV UWA eyepiece. The outer housing screws up and exposes some grease and it does freeze or get stiff in cold temps, so I just keep it up in cold temps when I am observing with it. Views are good in UWA, and the raised outer housing does block stray light.

I already have three Meade 5k UWA/SWA eyepieces. I never had a problem with the grease or with cold weather, but then I don't go out if it gets much below freezing. So far I've deshrouded all these eyepieces and put after-market eyecups and caps on them. I'll do that for the new UWA 24, too.

Price looks very good for the combo sale. Enjoy!

Yes indeed!

:grin:
Mike

#34 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Wow.. that seems like a crazy good deal. I have the ES68 24mm on backorder. I think I am somewhere around 100,459th in line. IF this Meade is largely the same as the ES82 24mm, then dang. The $159 for the EP itself is a solid price. I think that EP sells for over $200, normally.

Things that make you go 'hmmm...' at 11:30 p.m. Should I cancel the ES68 and jump on this. I have no use for the diagonal, but maybe I could mount it for display on the mantle?!?

I should stop looking at that offer now, before my credit card numbers mysteriously tap themselves onto the keyboard.

24mm 68AFOV vs. 24mm 82AFOV. No brainer go for 24mm 82AFOV w/ free diagonal!

#35 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

That's a hell of a deal! If I didn't already have that diagonal and a 24mm SWA and a 28mm SWA I'd be all over it...you could buy it and sell them off separately and make $$$

bREAK EVEN AT BEST. Others in the know would prefer to buy new vs. buying used. But it is an excellent price!

#36 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I always collimate refractors straight-through, without a diagonal in the focuser. Before I observe, I check the collimation with the diagonal. If I the collimation is off, I fiddle with the setscrews or wedge it if necessary to improve the collimation. If I can adjust the diagonal itself, that's even better. I suppose that's how I should proceed with collimating my SCT?

All of this would be easier if I didn't have to wait until I'm out in the dark to collimate. I can collimate refractors and Newts in broad daylight or in my house if I want to. Actually it's EASIER then. Isn't there some way to collimate SCTs accurately without a star test?

Mike

Mike:
Get a Christmas tree bulb ornament.
Hang it in a tree 200' to the north of you.
Focus the telescope on the reflection of the Sun in the bulb.
The image will be an Airy disc with diffraction rings.
Take your time to collimate. Seeing won't interfere, and you can use very high power eyepieces and get it accurate.
And you didn't waste one minute of nighttime observing.

#37 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Easier said than done. I live in a condo. I don't have a back yard. Might seem a little unusual to see a middle-aged man shimmy up a tree in the common area to hang up a Christmas bulb. :thinking:

Hasn't anyone developed a simple gizmo for collimating an SCT in the privacy of one's own home? We are not beasts. Are we not men? :shrug:

:grin:
Mike

#38 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Wow, is that EP really 35 ounces!?!?

#39 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I don't think that is a misprint after all--I found this thread in the archives and user 'acc' originally posted the picture below.

:bigshock: It makes the 35 Pan look downright anorexic!!

Attached Files

#40 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

35 ounces. That's virtually the same weight as my ES 82 30mm. At least you can put the Meade UWA 24 on a diet by getting rid of the bulky shroud.

Mike

#41 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Coolness. I couldn't resist. I'm hoping that this will make a nice addition to my Lightbridge 16. I'm probably going to strip the bulky eye guard mechanism off of it and install my own. I make a simple adjustable eye guard from a thin sheet of black rubber foam from an art store. They are very effective and weight practically nothing.

#42 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'm leaving the cadding in place because the 24 UWA will be loaned to a friend who sets up on cement. He's using my 22 T4 which I'll take back as it's making me a bit uneasy. David

#43 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Have they shipped any of you guys' orders yet?

#44 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

The status of my order at the Meade website is still

"Order Status: Shipping Soon

Your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed. Your order should ship within the next business day."

I hope this isn't the usual verbiage they put out before sending an email to say you've been backordered or the items are no longer available.

Mike

#45 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

People had experiences like that with Meade's order in the past??

#46 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I ordered the $29.95 filter special through Meade just before 5 PM on Friday and got the shipping notice today at 3 PM. They must be getting stuff out.

#47 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

I plan on removing the blue anodized color from the sides of the diagonal. Vanity has control and I am not going to sport a blue diagonal on an orange scope.

#48 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

Have they shipped any of you guys' orders yet?

I contacted them and got this reply yesterday
No, no issue with your order.

Unlike other online retailers, we are a small company and ship on certain days of the week.

Your order is shipping today and you should see tracking information tomorrow late afternoon.

Meade Store

#49 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I plan on removing the blue anodized color from the sides of the diagonal. Vanity has control and I am not going to sport a blue diagonal on an orange scope.

Hey, here in Colorado, thems our colors......you'd probably get an extra $50 for the color scheme alone!!!!

#50 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hey, here in Colorado, thems our colors......

And we see how far those colors got you this year! :bawling:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics