• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know about the new lunar guide that I received today for my birthday: "Discover the Moon," by J. Lacroux and C. Legrand. Much of it is pretty basic, and as it was originally written in French, then translated into English, there are some parts (in particular many of the captions) where the translation is incomplete. But what I really like is that the majority of the book is a day-to-day guide complete with photographs, detailing which major features are available for viewing near the terminator each day of the lunar cycle. While this book is written in a simple enough style that it's suitable for beginners, I think that it will become a valuable resource for me, even though I've been doing astronomy for quite a few years. Even though I'm far from a beginning astronomer, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to lunar observing. Thanks for reading this mini-review!

#2 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hi Scott

This was one of the first books I added to my library when I "discovered" that the Moon was an object to explore instead of despise. :) I reviewed it at IMO Book Review: Discover the Moon and I have recommended it to several lunar newbies. I think my favorite feature of the book is its day by day walk through of the terminator and beyond.

peace & clear skies

#3 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Nice review, Richard--thanks for sharing that!

#4 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

I also have this and use it on a regular basis. I am in the process of my first "tour" of the moon and use this book when observing the moon. While I have several other more in-depth books, this is my go-to book for an overview of lunar features.

#5 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

But what I really like is that the majority of the book is a day-to-day guide complete with photographs, detailing which major features are available for viewing near the terminator each day of the lunar cycle.

FWIW, "Exploring the Moon Through Binoculars and Small Telescopes" by Ernest H. Cherrington also has a day-by-day tour guide like that. It's a neat feature! My copy is an original, before "and Small Telescopes" was added to the title. I don't know what else changed in the later edition, but not much I suspect. You can find this one cheap at used book stores.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics