I Can Stop Kicking Myself...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Da Bear

Da Bear

Viking 1

• Loc: Kali-Forn-Ya

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

7 years ago I sold my NS-11 GPS, and was quickly angry and regretful --a terrible case of sellers remorse. For sure, one of the worst decisions I have ever made in 30 years of buying, collecting and selling astro-gear.

So, yesterday, I finally bought a pristine C-11 OTA with XLT, Fastar, and a carbon fiber tube, just like the one I had on the fork mount.

Wow, I am one happy camper.. plus lifting that monkey off my back.

Da Bear

#2 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Great to hear--congrats!

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think many of us go though something similar.

For me it was C8s. I kept selling them, but buying them back a year or two later.

The funny thing is that I don't even use my C8 much (an EdgeHD 8) but the C8 is just such a competent little scope that when I don't have one, I always feel as if I need to have one.

The C11 is an excellent scope though. My second most used telescope of all time right behind my C14. Lots of very capable aperture in a very reasonable package. Lots to like.

#4 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

7 years ago I sold my NS-11 GPS, and was quickly angry and regretful --a terrible case of sellers remorse. For sure, one of the worst decisions I have ever made in 30 years of buying, collecting and selling astro-gear.

So, yesterday, I finally bought a pristine C-11 OTA with XLT, Fastar, and a carbon fiber tube, just like the one I had on the fork mount.

Wow, I am one happy camper.. plus lifting that monkey off my back.

Da Bear

I think a lot of us have done that with some possession.For me it was a radio,and I actually bought back the exact unit(still had the homemade cabinet feet I had made for it the first time) some years later and in a different city!

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

The only time I sell a telescope if I am going to move up, or on to, something better. Sometime people post here that they haven't used their telescope in a year or two, or often enough not to justify having one. I always recommend not to sell, but keep it for another day. Our circumstances change, and there is a good possibility that they will change so we can once again get back into astronomy. So what if we only get our telescope out once a month or so? I get great joy also in owning one.

#6 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I can relate. I sold my FS152 last year to downsize and I was miserable afterwards - what have I done!! I found another a few weeks later and drove all the way up to San Jose to pick it up. I took the opportunity to put a beautiful Feathertouch 3.5" focuser on this one and haven't looked back. :cool:

#7 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

• Loc: Wilmington, DE

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I recently purchased, actually traded for, a C8 just like the one I sold about a year ago(Super Polaris/Starbright Era). Had it out last week to test on some double stars and was quite impressed ... Deja Vu all over again. And then spent some time in "reflection" on my personal motivation and decision processes.

#8 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I bought a used C8. I bought one from Roger Tuthill in 1975 and sold it after buying a 1986 6" Astro-Physics. Didn't regret it at first, but as time went on I missed the nice images from the C8(not as contrasty as the AP of course)and it's easy setup and portability. Gerry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics