Carrying Counterweights Can Hurt You...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

...so be careful and practice safe carrying methods. ;)

Okay, if I have your attention now, what are you guys doing, if anything, about transporting your counterweights? I'm a wimp, so forgive me, but it's hard for me to carry my two CGEM counterweights at the same time. They're only an 11 lb and a 7 lb weight, but putting them together in a small container (box) may trick me into thinking the box will be light since it's small, and then I'll wrench my back picking it up. I know, that sounds dumb,...oh well. :)

One thing I'm thinking about getting is a small tool bag that would be sturdy enough to carry the weight.

I'm looking for ideas, so help me out if you can.

Thanks,

Patrick

#2 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rochester, MI

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I just leave mine in the trunk of my car.

#3 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yes, that's a simple, uncomplicated way to do it.

Do you always work out of your car when observing or imaging?

Patrick

#4 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I use a cheap backpack I got as a gimmie at some event to carry 11 and 3.5 lb counterweights, the CW shaft, tripod spreader, power cord, and serial cable for a CG5, and a white towel. In fact, I usually just store those parts in there so they're not forgotten and ready to go. Using the backpack for those clunky parts, I can carry a pretty elaborate rig in two trips. Not exactly grab'n'go, but nearly the next best thing.

Towel? Sometimes I set up a folding table for the computer a few feet away from the telescope and spread the towel over the serial cable so it's less of a trip hazard - it's easy to see in the dark. Works great. And I always know where my towel is.

#5 jacktechie

jacktechie

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I just put them and the counterweight shaft on the shelf. It gets assembled and carried to the car or backyard like a dumbbell.
Jack

#6 mak7

mak7

Messenger

• Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Patrick,
This is pretty simple, but it helps to spread the weight out a little. Lots of ways to do it, but these were my CGEM weights and it helps with storage as well.

Another one used for my Cassidy weights for the G 11. Note the CW bar is used for the handle. The box is cheap and carries no real weight, you can also stack stuff on top of it for transport.
Brad

Attached Files

#7 achronut

achronut

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'm getting one of these

#8 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

and then I'll wrench my back picking it up. I know, that sounds dumb,...oh well. :)

Doesn't sound dumb to a guy with a bad back. I'd want 'back tweaking' weight to look like what it is. I like the dumbell idea a few posts back.

#9 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I use a couple small craftsman canvas tool bags, although with about 60+ lbs in each they get heavy and the carry strap is hard on the hands. But still a cheap solution. I do wrap each one individually in a towel.

Dean

#10 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Pelican Storm IM 2075

#11 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Pelican Storm IM 2075

:waytogo: Agreed. That's what I use. I have two, one for CG5 CWs and one for my LX80. The JMI carrier was too awkward for me to assemble and disassemble. Canvas tote bags, canvas tool bags were all tried but nothing has been as convenient to use and easy to lift, store and transport as the Pelican Storm iM2075 Case. I use the handle only to move it around in the back of my car to position it for transport. Otherwise, I lift it easily with a straight back and two hands on the sides of the case where it can be gripped easily. I'm 62 and my back thanks me every time.

#12 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I carry mine in a Whole Foods bag, which weighs 3 1/2 pounds less than the Pelican case and cost $1. It also has room for my tripod tray and cables. I use my Pelican cases for items like my eyepieces and the mount itself, items that benefit from the waterproof/indestructible features. :grin:

#13 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

OK, I've got one of the JMI carries, came with a mount that's long gone. Thought it was a Meade thing. For $50 I can bend a lot of 16ga. Then just use the CW shaft as the center pin. Wonder if I can lift one with three 25# Cassidy weight in it :question:

#14 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Overkill maybe but I carry them in this pelican/storm case, and I usually take them to the mount one weight at a time and leave the case in the car until I get back home. Takes all 3 for the C11.

Attached Files

#15 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

I bought a galvanized steel bucket and added a piece of pipe insulation to the handle for cushioning. This is a very simple, inexpensive and cheesy option, but works. By the way, I carry three 11 lb. CW's in it.

Here's a picture:

Attached Files

#16 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

I bought a galvanized steel bucket and added a piece of pipe insulation to the handle for cushioning. This is a very simple, inexpensive and cheesy option, but works. By the way, I carry three 11 lb. CW's in it.

Here's a picture:

I wouldn't call it cheesy. Maybe: brilliant, resourceful, creative, quaint, using the right tool for the job, not over complicating...

Good Job,
Jaimo!

#17 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Lane,
Excellent solution. I found the same problem. Especially in the cold when your CWs can instantly freeze your hands. I ordered the same case and they fit my Atlas 11lb CWs just fine. I used to haul all 3 at a time to my backyard or from my car, but now it going to be quite convenient.

Gabe

#18 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Get a cat food plastic box with a carrying handle from a local pet store. Add some wood reinforcing for the bottom and sides and a separator between the weights.

Phil

#19 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

...so be careful and practice safe carrying methods. ;)

Okay, if I have your attention now, what are you guys doing, if anything, about transporting your counterweights? I'm a wimp, so forgive me, but it's hard for me to carry my two CGEM counterweights at the same time. They're only an 11 lb and a 7 lb weight, but putting them together in a small container (box) may trick me into thinking the box will be light since it's small, and then I'll wrench my back picking it up. I know, that sounds dumb,...oh well. :)

One thing I'm thinking about getting is a small tool bag that would be sturdy enough to carry the weight.

I'm looking for ideas, so help me out if you can.

Thanks,

Patrick

Actually, you're being smart.

I used a Leather Computer Bag, placed about 20 pounds of weights plus the Dec Shaft in it with the hand controller.
As sure as it rains in the Summer, I forgot how much was in it and DID hurt my back. Wasn't serious but enough to slap my forhead for being an idiot. So just as you're already thinking can happen, did to me.

The dumb-bell solution is a good one.

#20 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

I'm getting one of these

Oooohhh, this looks GOOD!!!! :jump:

#21 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Here's a picture:

I'm bettin' the PRICE is RIGHT!!!!, too!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics