Photo

Starlight Instruments Customer Service Story...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Starlight Instruments, maker of Feathertouch focusers, has the best customer service in the industry. Recently I purchased a used Stellarvue refractor (SV80 with LOMO 80/480 optics) came with a 2" Feathertouch Crayford focuser. The scope was not as advertised (i.e., the seller kisted it as mint, but didn't mention the slipping dew shade and faded anodizing on one of the focus knobs). The scope was also damaged in shipment due to rough handling and inadequate packaging. Damage included a bent focuser screw.

I contacted Starlight to inquire about buying a replacement knob and focuser screw. The proprietor, Wayne, asked me to send pictures and my address. I insisted that I wasn't looking for a freebie, and that I intended to purchase the replacement components.

In today's mail the replacement knob and screw arrived - free - from Starlight. I am not the original purchaser of the scope. They owed me nothing. Nonetheless, they went above and beyond the call of duty and helped me out, big time.

Thank you Wayne, thank you Starlight. :bow:

Regards,

Jim

#2 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Wayne rocks, I have always had good dealings with Starlight. First class company and people.

#3 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Try him with a clam shelled objective lens! That'll realy be seperating the whsat from the chaft customer service...big time! :lol: Mike

#4 jjbird

jjbird

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Wayne runs a first class outfit at Starlight, as does Ron at Moonlite.

#5 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Great customer service.. I was having a "sticking" issue on one of my SCT rear cell focusers.. I took it apart thinking I could fix it.. Needless to say I probably screwed it up more.. I called wayne and he said send it in.. After about a week, my focuser showed back up good as new and without a charge! Can't beat that!

#6 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

(i.e., the seller kisted it as mint, but didn't mention the slipping dew shade and faded anodizing on one of the focus knobs).

These could have been shortcomings of the scope when new.

#7 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

• Loc: Wilmington, DE

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

I recently had correspondence with Wayne at Starlight on a past bad experience I had with a FT retrofit for my TAK FS-102 and a slightly out of true Pinion shaft, as well as a few other questions for future upgrades.
I have to say the responses were very quick and thorough and I wish on the original problem I had gone to Starlight/Wayne for support instead of the US Tak support group.
I'm just deciding now which upgrades I want to make before proceeding.

#8 ichdien

ichdien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

I also had a great experience with Starlight after I bought an expensive used scope that arrived with a bent pinion. First class products and service!

Jim

#9 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Thank you Wayne, thank you Starlight. :bow:

+1 :waytogo:

I have also received stellar service from Starlight the past few years and I just ordered another adapter from them. I have an extra 2 inch focuser sitting in my spares bin and plan to use it on my Lunt LS60.

I am spoiled by my FeatherTouch focusers. They are superb! :)

#10 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Yes, Wayne rocks! Also available for customer service via telephone which is especially valuable for those of us trying to figure out a plan of action. And, of course, his products are superb as well, but that is probably already well known.

#11 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

All of what you say is also true for Jon Joseph, the CEO and 'big chese' of Starlight.

Dave

#12 jaddbd

jaddbd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Woodbine, MD

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

didn't mention the slipping dew shade

+1 on Wayne. He has hooked me up on all the scope/adapter/camera issues I have on my setups.

Jim,

I have an SV105 (original owner) and have had the slipping dew shield problem. Easily recified: Unscrew the dewshield (carefully as to not unscrew the lens cell underneath it) and stratigically add some "anti-velcro" (that is, the soft side from a velcro stick on kit) to fatten out what was originally put in to create friction between the dew shield and the tube. Screw the dew shield back on and your back in bussiness.

John D

#13 AJT12

AJT12

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Wayne has provided me with phenomenal customer service over the years on several occasions. Incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

#14 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Faded anodizing is a symptom of UV exposure. It is a defect caused by user mishandling/poor storage and is not a condition that would be "as new" or "mint". It is something that should have been disclosed and shown in photos when listed for sale. Obviously Wayne at Stralight considers "eggplant" colored black anodized knobs to be a defect warranting replacement.

Similarly, the slipping dew shade is a design defect from Stellarvue, but it is a defect that arises over time due to wear, not one that manifests when shipped from the factory. It's a wear-related item like tires. A used car is not "mint" if the tires are bald. Same here. When the felt used to hold the shade in place compresses due to use, the dew shade slips. It, too, is a disclosure item that prevents as used scope from being "mint".

In other words, they all aren't like that and none of them are like that new. Mint means "as new". What I received was a "project scope" not a "mint" scope. Now I'm doing the projects that are needed to take it back to "very good" condition. It is not cost effective to try and make it "excellent" or "near mint" as that would require a stripping, buffing, patching and repaint.

Regards,

Jim

#15 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Ironically, John, I was in the hardware store last weekend and picked up some Velcro strips with exactly this fix in mind. The scope is on the workbench with dew shade removed, waiting for me to attend to it this weekend. I figured the Velcro would hold up better than felt. Thanks for the validation, John!

Regards,

Jim

#16 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

• Loc: Sun City West, Arizona

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Nice story. Thanks for sharing!!!

A good example for others to follow. Again, thanks for sharing...

#17 jaddbd

jaddbd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Woodbine, MD

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Ironically, John, I was in the hardware store last weekend and picked up some Velcro strips with exactly this fix in mind. The scope is on the workbench with dew shade removed, waiting for me to attend to it this weekend. I figured the Velcro would hold up better than felt. Thanks for the validation, John!

Regards,

Jim

Your probably right on that one, I've had to do it twice already. I don't know why they even bothered with a set screw :confused: -it has been pretty much useless since not long after I got mine. The scope is great though...

JD

#18 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Jim,
If you decide to use felt?
Here is a good source (look at the self adhesive felt strips) that has about any size ,color and thickness you could ask for.
(This is where I get felt to reline tube rings)

http://www.durofelt.com/products.html

Rex

#19 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

No surprise, Jim! Any dealings that I've had with them have ALL been positive. Good people, Feathertouch. :ubetcha:

David

#20 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Great story,good on both of you.

#21 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Great story. This is the kind of customer service that can keep a company in business even in hard times. I live about an hour and fifteen minutes from Starlight Instruments and I've considered calling them to see if I could come take a look inside. Reading this thread just may be the impetus I need to make the call.

#22 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I went there for a tour then decided to write a CN article on the experience. They later made it a part of their website. I'm pretty sure they still welcome visitors.

http://www.starlight...ut-Us/index.cfm

#23 tomchris

tomchris

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

[quote name="jjbird"]Wayne runs a first class outfit at Starlight, as does Ron at Moonlite. [/quote

I couldn't agree more on both counts!

#24 Mary

Mary

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Wonderful story Jim!!! I must say that I love my Feathertouch focusers! It is so wonderful to know that if I ever need their help, all I have to do is pick up a phone.

Mary

#25 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

I went there for a tour then decided to write a CN article on the experience. They later made it a part of their website. I'm pretty sure they still welcome visitors.

http://www.starlight...ut-Us/index.cfm

Excellent writeup and definitely worth a read. Makes me want to drive down and get a tour . . .

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics