Photo

Celestron 6SE mount, how sturdy?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Any C6 SE owners comment on the single fork stability?
how long do vibration at higher powers take to settle?

mike

#2 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have a 6SE Nexstar and the problem is not so much the single arm but the tripod. Settle down time is about 2 to 3 seconds and I find than quite frustrating. A motor focus or a very smooth fine focuser might help, I don't know. However when I put the mount on a sturdy DIY fixed height tripod things are very much improved and the scope is a pleasure to use.

#3 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hi Pat,

that's interesting. If we are to believe the sky and telescope report, at full ht of tripod, the scope settles virtually instantly.
I suspect the CG5 GT version is a better bet.

Mike

#4 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brandon, Mississippi

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I have a NexStar 8SE, which shares the same mount as 6SE, but has a C8 OTA. At times, there is a several second delay to settle down at higher powers. The tripod is a tall tripod. There is definite improvement by not using at full extension, and I've noticed in the NexStar Forum, most use anti-vibration pads, which also seem to help. A motor focus is also helpful. The ultimate cure is to mount the NexStar 6/8SE upper unit onto a CPC tripod. There is a NexStar SE Forum. You may want to present your question there.
Bruce

#5 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have and use an 8i (older model of the 8SE) and yes the TRIPOD is the weak part...not the mount itself..

My 8i is loaded down with a good solid 7 pounds of extra stuff bolted onto the OTA ..(and has been used that way for over 10 years) without any problems...

I now tend to use my CPC1100 tripod to mount my scope on but when I used the original OEM mount I found vibration pads a waste of money (I observe on grass) but a motor focus was well worth the money ..I have also used a Antares portable pier which in the past...

I also had my 8i mounted on a real pier in my observatory for a little over a year...WHAT VIBRATIONS ???? Replaced it with a CPC1100 and that is where I got the CPC tripod which I now use with I use the 8i

Bob G.

#6 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Mike,

Like Bob and several others, I found the weak point in the 6 (and 8) SE setup to be the tripod. I don't know what that magazine was doing, but there is no way they got "instant" settle time with one of those spaghetti-legged creatures. I'll file that observation along with the automobile magazine hyperbole. :p

I swapped my tripod for the CPC version, also. It's a perfect fit and does wonders for the single arm mount.

Cheers,

Ron

Attached Files

#7 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi Ron,

thank you,that tripod looks substantial, are they 2 inch legs?

Mike

#8 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

You think the 6se are bad try the 127 SLT tripod,
It's like a Bowling ball on top a toothpick
I cant believe that after Criterion finally got it right with
the Golden Pyramid tripod, followed closely by Meade and their fantastic Giant field tripod, some struggles by Celestron, finally getting it right to go back to the Spider leg Tasco-like tripods.

#9 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I have been through many of the Nexstar/SLT mount and tripod combinations with a 60mm SLT, a 4SE, a C5/ 6 SE mount combo, and the 8SE, and tried anti-vibration pads, heavier tripods and some DIY bracing.

I have and use, the C5 on a Nexstar 6/8 mount and tripod. I do not use the anti-vibration pads or a heavier tripod.

My conclusion is that the SE mount and the payload are the major factors in what I think of the central problem—image shaking during focusing. If my two data point conclusion is correct, the 6 SE should be better than the 8, and many users are satisfied with the 8 SE mount/tripod.

I do not tap the tripod or OTA when observing and neither do I walk with heavy tread when observing.

I did not buy a focusing motor because the lighter C5 is very stable on the larger mount, but an electric focuser is probably the best solution.

#10 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

It's a perfect mount for the C6. A little under-built for the C8 and great with any smaller catadioptric (C90, C5, 127mm MCT etc.).

C90 on the 6/8SE mount:

Posted Image

Regards,

Jim

#11 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

this looks like a nice set up!!

...Ralph

#12 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi Ron,

thank you,that tripod looks substantial, are they 2 inch legs?

Mike

Mike,

I think they might even be thicker than 2 inches. The CPC tripod might be a bit of 'overkill' for the C6, but I started with an 8SE and was not happy with the setup.

For me, the C6 was a better OTA and the SE mount/CPC tripod was still very portable. I used this combo under a lot of small 80 - 90mm refractors also, and I am sorry I let it go. I could have used it last fall after my back surgery. :)

Cheers,

Ron

#13 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

You think the 6se are bad try the 127 SLT tripod,
It's like a Bowling ball on top a toothpick
I cant believe that after Criterion finally got it right with
the Golden Pyramid tripod, followed closely by Meade and their fantastic Giant field tripod, some struggles by Celestron, finally getting it right to go back to the Spider leg Tasco-like tripods.

I suspect the reason is simple economics.

There are lots of products sold everyday that are less than the best solution,except not enough people can or will buy the best.

#14 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I've been pleased with the rigidity of my NexStar 6 on the stock tripod, and I'm fairly critical of mount stability. I certainly don't recall settling times longer than 2 seconds at 200x, much less if I'm gentle while focusing, and the width of the oscillations while focusing have been nowhere near prohibitive. (1.25" diagonal and a focal reducer, stock reflex finder only).

I see very little value to measuring settling times after giving the ota a thump.

I know from past experience that the tightness of the attachment bolts, where the legs affix to the tripod head, affects stability. Maybe that's a source of issues for some folks?

I have a CPC11, so I could use that tripod for the 6, but I certainly haven't felt the need to do so.

#15 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

As the 6SE and 8SE use the same tripod and mount,and considering the 8SE sitting in my garage, I feel it is pretty stable except when my big feet kick the legs.

THAT takes some time to recover from!

#16 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

Another easy way to add stability to the 6/8SE mount is as follows. After everything is set-up and tightened down. A plastic gallon bottle of water or sand is placed under the center of the tripod, then a bungee cord tightened to the spreader snugly, but not enough to lift the bottle up(you don't want it swinging). This seems to dampened vibration, especially on hard surface. I also know of it serving a protective effect, preventing your scope from being knocked over accidently, like in a crowd at a star party exhibition. I actually learned this trick from someone who did it mainly to protect his scope, after it was knocked over one night. He just happened to notice the vibration improvement.

#17 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

As a quick addedum, if your observing in a grassy or field area. Forget the gallon bottle. Go to the Pet Store and purchase one of those screw in the ground lease holders, center that under your tripod, and attach the bungee cord to it.

#18 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

As a quick addedum, if your observing in a grassy or field area. Forget the gallon bottle. Go to the Pet Store and purchase one of those screw in the ground lease holders, center that under your tripod, and attach the bungee cord to it.

What a great idea with the leash! I have one of those.
Plus you can adjust the tension by screwing it down further.
Nice...

#19 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I'm not sure that it's the mount tat should be on the leash! :roflmao:

Stan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics