Best eyepiece dew heaters??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I have searched a bit on this forum and is seems that the Dew Not heaters are highly recommended. However some believe the Kendrick heaters are better.

I have a binoviewer with a couple of ES eyepieces that I have to add some sort of heating because of the cold. I currently have a Kendrick controller with 2 ports ( one for my wood wonders box dew heaters) and one spare available to possibly hook up a pair of eyepiece heaters.

So my question is... Can I use the Dew Not heaters with this controller or do they have to be Kendrick heaters?

Also is one necessarily better than the other? The Kendrick seem much more expensive. Am I getting more for the added cost?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

All these heaters run on 12VDC, and so are essentially compatible with the competition's gear. There may be minor differences in resistance between heaters of a given 'format', and hence a difference in heat output, but this should be of no real concern at all.

#3 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

The Kendricks are built better. They have cables and heating elements that are much more pliable in the cold and better RCA connectors. If you observe in sub-freezing temps and into the teens, I'd say go with the Kendricks, otherwise the Dew-Nots are fine. I have both. However, DewNot will do custom lengths and widths, if that's important.

#4 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I have locked this thread as it is duplicated. It can be found here, in the equipment forum

Cheers,
John B

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics