Lxd75 autostar 497 ?'s strange characters, more...
Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:29 PM
1. The hand controller displays strange characters with English characters if I scroll up/down the strange characters will go away but just to return
2. The screen goes blank, the light is still on but will not take any commands, usually a reboot takes care of this but sometimes it will do it a few times a night.
3. What will need to update the software? I have read that a certain brand of USB /232 converter works more consistently, and what cable. It has FW version 40eb
What I have done to correct problems
1. Bought a schumakcher 400ah jump box made up a 12v cable with center pin +
2. Reset handbox several times, brought mount rig into warm house but still problems
3. Checked cable connections and cleaned with deoxit
This is my first goto mount so any insight to these problems would be great!
Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:48 PM
Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:11 PM
What other model of hand boxes are compatible with the lxd? Of course the 497 but will the 497II work or audiostar or the 497ep? Being I probably won't be able to get one from meade ill keep a look out for a spare.
Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:06 PM
Should it start looking like an alien countdown - like what Arnold saw at the end of the movie Predator - get out of Dodge - quick!
Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:15 PM
The controller/firmware versions issue is a frequent topic. Check the Files section.
FWIW, the cable you need is called a 505 serial cable, and the contemporary cable sets come with a USB to Serial adapter. Here is where it gets tricky. You need to make sure the adapter will work with your computer's OS.
I have an adapter that uses the Prolific chip set. It works fine with Windows XP and Vista, but it will not work with Windows 7. As it turns out the Prolific chips have been counterfeited. The bogus chips will not work with Win7. I've been told that adapters using the Keyspan chips work on all of the Windows systems.
To update the controller firmware you need to download and install Autostar Suite and Autostar Updater. Current versions are available on Meade's website: http://meade.com/sup.../downloads.html
When you run ASU it will help you download the appropriate firmware and update your controller.
Autostar Suite is Meade's planetarium and telescope control application.
One VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT PLUG ANYTHING INTO THE AUX PORT ON THE MOUNT!!! The 505 cable plugs into the controller and the controller plugs into the HBX port....
You can also find some good info here: http://www.weasner.c...ostar_info.html
Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:00 PM
I had that happen on an old controller. The display cable has delaminated, and may have only intermitant conection to the board.
That is exactly what happened! anyone have a source for displays for
the 497? Probably just find a whole box next month.
Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:14 PM
Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:03 AM