Photo

Lxd75 autostar 497 ?'s strange characters, more...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Auburt

Auburt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I just got this lxd75 mount and it has started to actup a bit. Here are the symptoms
1. The hand controller displays strange characters with English characters if I scroll up/down the strange characters will go away but just to return

2. The screen goes blank, the light is still on but will not take any commands, usually a reboot takes care of this but sometimes it will do it a few times a night.

3. What will need to update the software? I have read that a certain brand of USB /232 converter works more consistently, and what cable. It has FW version 40eb

What I have done to correct problems

1. Bought a schumakcher 400ah jump box made up a 12v cable with center pin +

2. Reset handbox several times, brought mount rig into warm house but still problems

3. Checked cable connections and cleaned with deoxit

This is my first goto mount so any insight to these problems would be great!
Thanks

#2 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I had that happen on an old controller. The display cable has delaminated, and may have only intermitant conection to the board.

#3 Auburt

Auburt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I will open up the box and have a look around, thanks

What other model of hand boxes are compatible with the lxd? Of course the 497 but will the 497II work or audiostar or the 497ep? Being I probably won't be able to get one from meade ill keep a look out for a spare.

#4 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Vanguard

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

"...strange characters..."?

Should it start looking like an alien countdown - like what Arnold saw at the end of the movie Predator - get out of Dodge - quick! :lol:

#5 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

The best place to find out is here: http://tech.groups.y...XD75telescopes/

The controller/firmware versions issue is a frequent topic. Check the Files section.

FWIW, the cable you need is called a 505 serial cable, and the contemporary cable sets come with a USB to Serial adapter. Here is where it gets tricky. You need to make sure the adapter will work with your computer's OS.

I have an adapter that uses the Prolific chip set. It works fine with Windows XP and Vista, but it will not work with Windows 7. As it turns out the Prolific chips have been counterfeited. The bogus chips will not work with Win7. I've been told that adapters using the Keyspan chips work on all of the Windows systems.

To update the controller firmware you need to download and install Autostar Suite and Autostar Updater. Current versions are available on Meade's website: http://meade.com/sup.../downloads.html

When you run ASU it will help you download the appropriate firmware and update your controller.

Autostar Suite is Meade's planetarium and telescope control application.

One VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT PLUG ANYTHING INTO THE AUX PORT ON THE MOUNT!!! The 505 cable plugs into the controller and the controller plugs into the HBX port....

You can also find some good info here: http://www.weasner.c...ostar_info.html

#6 Auburt

Auburt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I had that happen on an old controller. The display cable has delaminated, and may have only intermitant conection to the board.

That is exactly what happened! :( anyone have a source for displays for
the 497? Probably just find a whole box next month. :(

#7 Auburt

Auburt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Since ill be looking, is the audiostar box an upgrade (does it have more memory or maybe a faster processor ) from the autostar other than the narration?

#8 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

The displays are proprietary to Meade. You would be best off looking for a replacement controller. Any 497 will work, you just need to adjust the settings in the controller menus.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics