Photo

How to get Kendrick Anti-dewers to work?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 David Williams

David Williams

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hi CN people: I've purchased the Kendrick anti dew heater element plus the 4 channel controller for my Meade 10" SCT. And even with a pretty fully charged, starter-type 12 volt battery couldn't get make it have much warmth even on the high setting.

So now I use a hairdryer to remove dew and frost (Michigan).

If I can't find a remedy for the Kendrick, I'll want to sell it sometime.

Any advice?
Thank you.
David Williams

#2 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I've got 8 various Kendrick 'Premier' heaters and have never had any issuse with them. In fact, they can get too hot if I mess up the settings. My only suggestion would be to check the outputs of the controller with a multimeter.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

It does not NEED much warmth.

The secret is using it correctly:

--Turn the heaters on as soon as you remove the aperture cover. 30 minutes before sundown is good.

--The corrector heater strip needs to go BEHIND THE CORRECTOR ASSEMBLY, NOT ON IT. Behind the big ring on the end of the tube, that is; on the tube itself.

--For a temperature regulated system in heavy dew, turn up to about 10-degrees above ambient. A time controlled box? Start about 3 o'clock.

It is far easier to keep dew off, than remove it once it had been formed.

While a temperature controlled system like a DewBuster is more effective, the Kendrick will keep the corrector of my C11 clear and my dew is no doubt heavier than yours.

#4 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

You should not feel much warmth for the dew heater to be working correctly.

I do agree to turn it on early is best. I usually do my setup in the late afternoon and turn on the dew heaters then while waiting for it to get dark.

#5 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

I have homemade heater strips (need more resistors to make some more<<note to self<<), controlled via a Dew Zapper in the Obsv. I leave them on all the time so no matter when I roll off, the heaters are close to being ready.

Since they are at pretty much ambient, any adjustments from the controller when rolling off takes minimal time to compensate.

Only use them in the obsv, don't bother when in the field, since usually when going there, dew formation is minimal "dew" to the time of year.

#6 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Did you check the fuse? It's in the cigarette plug electrical element. Just screw off the end, remove the fuse, and make sure it hasn't blown; easy to replace if it has.
...Keith

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Even turned up fairly high, the strips will barely feel warm.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Did you check the fuse? It's in the cigarette plug electrical element. Just screw off the end, remove the fuse, and make sure it hasn't blown; easy to replace if it has.
...Keith

If the light on the control box comes on as you advance the knob, the fuse is good. No need to dig it out. ;)

#9 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Even turned up fairly high, the strips will barely feel warm.

Yes but, I just measured my 2" Premier Dewminator. After about a minute at 100% on my Digifire 10, it read 57°C / 135°F. Uncomfortably warm on sensitive skin, you would definitly know if it's on!

#10 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

...Keith

If the light on the control box comes on as you advance the knob, the fuse is good. No need to dig it out. ;)

Or that would work... :foreheadslap:
...Keith

#11 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

At the objective end, particularly on SCTs, a dew cap is also a must.

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

At the objective end, particularly on SCTs, a dew cap is also a must.

Yep. Heaters are a supplement to a dew shield, not a replacement for it, in most areas.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics