• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Bought a used smartEQ for my PST and got a great deal from a fellow club member. The DEC motor died shortly after and I emailed iOptron support for a replacement. Tech at iOptron helped me diagnose it to make sure it was the DEC motor and not the mainboard. Sent me a replacement motor for a very reasonable price. Tech sent me a .pdf with a photo illustration and step-by-step guide to replacing it. The mount is designed to be user serviceable and it was a snap. Mount works perfect now and I couldn't be happier.

Guess the point I am making is that iOptron customer support went above and beyond to make sure I got taken care of, fully knowing that I was not the original purchaser of mount, and even offered to fix it for me if I wanted to send it back. No red tape, no double talk, just a very enjoyable support experience. They just earned my business when I upgrade my main scope mount. Just thought I would share.

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

I have had nothing but great service from iOptron, even when I had silly questions - they always got back to me quickly and professionally with an answer.

#3 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I agree 100%,,,Great people to deal with!

#4 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

Yup, one of the best CS exp I've ever had. I had sent a rather critical email on how the smart EQ wasn't even offered as upgradable and they responded with, "sure it is, here is what you'll need and here is how much it cost's" I ended up paying about 150 less than the actual pro addition.
Also on a side note, here is a little tidbit o information for y'all,: they offer a lot more to purchase than the web sight would lead you to think, but you have to contact them with a detailed request for there isn't an actual expanded catalog. I was surprised, and pleased, buy this fact.

#5 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Interesting news on the SmartEQ upgrade.

I have also had good experiences with iOptron. In addition to answering questions, they made available an upgraded worm for my iEQ45. Few manufacturers improve their products as aggressively as iOptron and fewer yet make those improvements available to existing owners.

#6 nine44

nine44

Mariner 2

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Please be sure to communicate all of this praise to iOptron every chance you get. As iOptron grows larger, they will be tempted to let the bean counters and ninnies run the company--like all large companies eventually seem to do.

Many comapnies (even those in this industry) have all kinds of procedures, work processes, etc. There are systems and procedures for everything. You have a handset that is smoking? We can't just send you a new one under warranty! First, we'll put you through a REALLY long phone que. Then we'll quiz you about things you might have done that would allow us out of the warranty claim. We'll need you to talk to a couple different levels of tech support. It you still have the stamina to pursue this, then we'll need to setup a return authorization #. We need to send you a prepaid label and you must use our label to send it back. We will look at it within the next 30 days. If our tech engineer discovers that your smoking handset, is indeed, smoking as you say it is, then we will contact you to set up replacement of your handset. Three new moons will pass during this time? Sorry.

This mentality keeps those not dealing directly with the public employed (the governance types, beancounters and corporate ninnies), but it hampers real customer service. What's ironic is that this approach ends up in much higher costs. iOptron recognizes that many of it's customers are intelligent, can follow directions and are more than happy to install a $5 part that iOptron sends out in 48 hours rather than dealing with the scenario above--long delays and frustration for the consumer, high costs and complexity for the manufacturer.

I echo kudos to iOptron for empowering your techs to do what is needed to satisfy your customers! Don't change a thing!

#7 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

Bought a used smartEQ for my PST and got a great deal from a fellow club member. The DEC motor died shortly after and I emailed iOptron support for a replacement. Tech at iOptron helped me diagnose it to make sure it was the DEC motor and not the mainboard. Sent me a replacement motor for a very reasonable price. Tech sent me a .pdf with a photo illustration and step-by-step guide to replacing it. The mount is designed to be user serviceable and it was a snap. Mount works perfect now and I couldn't be happier.

Guess the point I am making is that iOptron customer support went above and beyond to make sure I got taken care of, fully knowing that I was not the original purchaser of mount, and even offered to fix it for me if I wanted to send it back. No red tape, no double talk, just a very enjoyable support experience. They just earned my business when I upgrade my main scope mount. Just thought I would share.

What?? You mean they didn't make you pack up the whole system and send it back for them to spend a month or two working on it only to send it back even worse than it started?

You know of whom I am referring...

Yes, the CS at iOptron has been excellent. Outstanding even.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics