• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Good times for all moon atlas lovers, another great moon atlas is coming: The German astro books publisher Oculum is publishing the Reiseatlas Mond.

The Reiseatlas Mond is - like the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon - based on Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter images and illustrates the near side of the moon in very high resolution.
It has 88 spiral-bound pages in format 300x210mm. The laminated pages make it perfectly suited for outdoor use in dewy nights. It is, as always at Oculum, economically priced at EUR 29,90 = USD 40,25.

Here a Sample Page (map chart 23).

Atlas publishing date is March 2013. Orders can already be placed on Oculum's webpage, no pre-payment necessary.

I do not doubt that this will be another top-seller from Oculum. After having purchased several publications from Oculum, I can confirm that their products are of very good printing quality at an excellent benefit-cost ratio, so I highly recommend their new Reiseatlas Mond as outdoor companion to any moon observer.

Stephan

#2 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Stephan,

Thanks for mention. It sure looks good. Also nice it can stand against water/dew. 30 euro is a very sharp price!

One question, do you understand why it is called Reiseatlas (=travel atlas)?

#3 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Stephan,

One question, do you understand why it is called Reiseatlas (=travel atlas)?

Hi Traveler,

I think Oculum deliberately named it similar as their outstanding Deep Sky Reiseatlas (one of the very best compact-sized deep sky atlases available on the market today).
The new Reiseatlas Mond will be the perfect outdoor addition to the Deep Sky Reiseatlas, since both have a flat-lying spiral binding and dew-proof laminated pages.

Stephan

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Thanks Stephan.

I am browsing their "verlagsprogramm" and see several interesting works... it seems that you pointed me to a new booksource. :D

Funny, i dídn't see these books in my country (which is the little neighbour west of Germany and where we learn to speak/ write German at school).

Again: thanks.

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Looks like one I would be interested in buying.

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Looks incredible.

Thanks for the tip!

- Jim

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Very nice lunar atlas with great attention to detail, judging by the sample. And I thought I'd never buy another Moon atlas! Guess I'll have to brush up on my German.

Mike

#8 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

I wonder why when I put one copy of the atlas in my cart at the website, "2" is displayed for Quantity instead of "1"? When I try to modify the Quantity to "1", the total price with shipping of 63.10 Euros does not change. This doesn't make sense to me.

Mike

#9 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

Hi Mike, in my browser, the default quantity value is 1 and i can modify when i want.It seems there is something with your browser. Perhaps you have to delete your temp files/cookies?

#10 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

I wonder why when I put one copy of the atlas in my cart at the website, "2" is displayed for Quantity instead of "1"? When I try to modify the Quantity to "1", the total price with shipping of 63.10 Euros does not change. This doesn't make sense to me.

Mike

Hmmm... strange. I did not encounter such problems when placing my order through Oculum's website. Perhaps a browser problem? I would recommend to try another browser (IE9 or Google Chrome should be fine).

Stephan

#11 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hi Mike, in my IE browser, the default quantity value is 1 and i can modify when i want.It seems there is something with your browser. Perhaps you have to delete your temp files/cookies?

#12 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Sorry for the double response. Don't understand why.

:crazy:

#13 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Traveler,

What is the price in Euros for one Reiseatlas Mond?

Mike

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Also, how do I actually place the order? When I'm at the screen which displays the contents of my cart, and I can modify the quantity, how do I go on from there? I don't see any obvious "Continue" button.

Mike

#15 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

Also, how do I actually place the order? When I'm at the screen which displays the contents of my cart, and I can modify the quantity, how do I go on from there? I don't see any obvious "Continue" button.

Mike

Mike,

1.) From there ("Warenkorb" / basket), your next step is

2.) to click on "Bestellvorgang abschliessen" (complete the order).
This automatically opens

3.) "Bestellen" (order form) where you have to fill in your complete address, including e-mail.
Below on the same page, you see two boxes:
Click on "Ich habe die AGB gelesen und akzeptiert" (I did read the terms of service and accept them).
The second box ("Astronomy Newsletter") may be clicked, if you wish to receive news from Oculum. In other case ignore this box.

4.) To finish and placing the order, click then on "jetzt kaufen" (buying now).

You will get an confirmation e-mail.

German is so easy. :)

Stephan

#16 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Yes, German is easy, compared to Russian. I had both in college ... long, long ago.

:grin:
Mike

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

We should have such astronomy field books in English! :ubetcha:

Mike

#18 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

On the Bestellung page of the website, under Land, there is no listing for Vereinigte Staaten, nor does it allow me to enter any country besides the European countries listed. Not very user friendly.

They may have lost a customer. :p

Mike

#19 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

On the Bestellung page of the website, under Land, there is no listing for Vereinigte Staaten, nor does it allow me to enter any country besides the European countries listed. Not very user friendly.

They may have lost a customer. :p

Mike

I just checked it. Yes, you are right, U.S.A. does not appear in the very limited country list of the drop down menue. I suggest to contact them by e-mail info@oculum.de for a quote.

Stephan

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I suppose that Oculum is not really interested in doing business beyond the EU? Too bad... I can do without the Reiseatlas Mond. :p

Mike

#21 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Did you contact them through info@oculum.de , with carbon copy to bestellung@oculum.de ?

Stephan

#22 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thank you Stephan for the tip - I just placed an order for it, and received the confirmation.

Since you apparently have dealt with this publisher previously, I hope you do not mind my asking about two things I find a bit puzzling.

1. I was never asked to give a credit card number or anything like that, nor do I easily find a bank account number anywhere. Will the book just eventually arrive with an invoice attached, or will they instruct me further about payment before it actually ships?

2. They mention that the delivery cost to abroad (anything that is not Germany), will be at true cost, but the there is no delivery cost value given on the confirmation, only "delivery to Finland"), so I guess it will be a surprise. I expext they will use Deutsche Post, so I'm not expecting anything radically expensive, but it would still be nice to know beforehand.

I do realize that I could easily ask the publisher, but my German isn't what it should be (particularly considering that my wife teaches German professionally), and also I think the answers might benefit the thread, should anyone here happen to have them.

#23 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hi Patrik,

1. I was never asked to give a credit card number or anything like that, nor do I easily find a bank account number anywhere. Will the book just eventually arrive with an invoice attached, or will they instruct me further about payment before it actually ships?

My personal experience with this trustworthy and very customer-friendly astro books publisher is as following: I was never asked for a credit card number, nor any other payment method in advance. All book orders placed at Oculum are handled, packaged and shipped by their partner LKG mbH, Espenhain bei Leipzig, Germany. LKG mbH ships the orders directly to the customers, with an invoice attached, containing all necessary account details for payment. They choose the most economical shipping method, so there will be no unpleasing surprises. I was never burnt at Oculum or LKG mbH.

2. They mention that the delivery cost to abroad (anything that is not Germany), will be at true cost, but the there is no delivery cost value given on the confirmation, only "delivery to Finland"), so I guess it will be a surprise. I expext they will use Deutsche Post, so I'm not expecting anything radically expensive, but it would still be nice to know beforehand.

As stated above, do not worry about Oculum's international shipping charges. They will never overcharge you. I may give you an example: The shipping charge on my latest order (their nice moon guide "Der Moonhopper") was only Euro 5,00 (Deutsche Post shipped to Switzerland). Of course, overseas shipping is somewhat more expensive, but they will only charge the effective cost of the most economical shipping option, unless the customer wants a faster shipping option.
My experience with Oculum is very positive, they do a real fine service. My impression with them is, that they want to see their customers happy, because only happy customers are returning customers. :)

I am in no way related with Oculum or LKG mbH, but I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone interested in very economically priced and high-quality astro publications in German language.

Feel free to contact them in English language too, for any additional infos or overseas export quotes.

Stephan

#24 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

For some additional infos on Oculum's astro publications, please see also their Foreign Rights link (English written).

Stephan

#25 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Thank you again.

I'll just wait a month or two until the book shows up.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics