Cloning software?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

My computer recently crashed and when the computer was fixed, all of the files were erased. It took a long time to put everything back on. I purchased a USB hard drive to clone and back up all of my files. What I would like to do is cloned my hard drive to the USB drive so that I can run all of my programs from the USB drive. However, I could not find anything on the net about doing this. Anyone know which clone software clones your hard drive to a USB drive so that you can run all of the programs from the UDB drive? Thanks.
Jim

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

James,

Windows, right?

I use XXClone and it works great. Clones the main drive, makes it bootable, gives the option of a solid blue Windows backdrop so you remember you are booted from the clone, and even writes to your boot.ini file to give you the choice of which drive to boot from during start up. It's easy to test after the process is complete so you know your clone will work.

Here's the link. I don't know why you should not be able to clone to a USB drive, but I don't know the answer to that.

#3 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Clonezilla is good for making a complete copy of a partition or drive. I'm not sure if a complete drive copy on the USB device can be made bootable.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics