LX200 Classic Conroller/Fansler Simulator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

So, I've seen this guy recommended on here several times, but can't find a thread really discussing it to answer a few questions I have.

http://www.dv-fansle..._keypad_sim.htm

First off, has anyone used one? I'm sure it works but I haven't heard of anyone actually using one so just want to make sure there aren't any issues with it.

Secondly, what programs work well in conjunction with this to control the LX200? I have an older laptop I plan to use that currently has Windows 2000 on it but I'm in the process of updating it to either XP or an older Linux system. Running Windows 7/Ubuntu on my current laptop but I don't intend on making it an "outside" laptop unless absolutely necessary.

Lastly, and this is slightly off topic but I can't remember the answer from when I did have the keypad...If the scope is tracking, and you move it manually rather than with the keypad/computer control, does it lose alignment? Or does the system keep up with where you moved it to? I would imagine it would lose its alignment but I can't recall.

#2 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

It would lose it's alignment

#3 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I have one that I keep in my repair kit when I go out fixing scopes and observatories for various educational institutions. It works as advertised. It gets the scope up and operational without a hand controller and allows me to take control of the scope with a laptop, PC or smartphone running an appropriate planetarium program. It has limitations (no Alt-Az alignments are possible, as far as I can figure out.)

Any planetarium program that can talk LX200 commands to a telescope should work acceptably-well.

No, if you unlock the clutches, you have to re-sync the scope to the planetarium program.

#4 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

It has limitations (no Alt-Az alignments are possible, as far as I can figure out.)

Hmm that could be tricky as I only have Alt-Az available. I'll have to look into that.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics