WO w/26mm SP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have been using the WO binoviewer for mostly Moon and planets with the included 20mm EP's. Decided to view the full moon last night with them and it was not only very bright, but kind of washed out as well. I have a couple of Meade 26mm SP that came with two of my scopes and wondered how they would work? They look the same size but the eyelens in one of them was more recessed than the other?

I then noticed the field stop was better defined in the older one which was marked "Japan" and the other was China. Anyway, I focused them individually and was able to merge them ok. The field was not as wide as the 20mm 66* and lower power, but was able to fit the whole moon in the view. Very nice image and sharper on the 20mm...I like them:)

Bob

#2 dmgriff

dmgriff

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I have used Astrola 25mm plossls with a Burgess Model 24 binoviewer. Nice sharp clean images. Not as bright as the included burgess 20mm binolites (3 element design).

The 25mm plossls have a permanent place in the bv carrying case.

Good viewing,

Dave

#3 teskridg

teskridg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: PA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

I have two iterations of the Meade 26mm Series 4000 Super Plossls- the "Japan" rubber gripped ones with Japan stamped on the chrome barrels, and the earlier Smoothside ones. These are both outstanding with the Burgess Model 24's, but I agree that the Binolite 20mm Burgess eyepieces are ideal for most purposes with this binoviewer. Interestingly, 32mm Plossls vignette somewhat with this 24mm clear aperture binoviewer but not with Vixen 30mm NPL Plossls. Tim

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hi Bob,
Just wanted to make sure that you understood this.

If you lower the power, you make the exit pupil bigger, which will make the moon actually appear brighter, not dimmer.

As for being washed out, I can't comment on whether an eyepeice change will fix that (I doubt it because it was most likely atmospheric or something else), but when you lower the magnification, the image gets brighter, not dimmer.

Also, I find the moon to be dimmer for a given power when using binoviewers than when using Mono because each eye only receives slighly less than half the light.

My guess is that you got some snow blindness perhaps because you were partially or fully dark adapted when you switched to the moon.

Finally this... You did not say your age, but it is possible that if you are older, you may have initial cateract formation. If it is in your non-dominant eye, and now that eye is in use, the clouding caused by the cataract can no show up in the image.

Only listing it as a possibility.. I know I am in this position. I have cataracts forming. I normally mono-view with my right eye (even though I am left eye dominant), but when I use both eyes, I can see the effects of the cataract that is developing in my right eye.

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi Eddgie,

Thanks for your input, I am 64 and my eyesight is pretty good overall with a low prescription for distance. I have always noticed that my dominant right eye sees shades of grey differently than the left. I mainly use the right eye for mono viewing and just started in the binoviewr in the last year.

I notice that when viewing DSO's my left eye seems to see better contrast and a little fainter stars better? Last check with my eye doctor, he said my eyes where in good health for my age. Will check closer on my next exam for and start of a cataract developing. Do you know how long they normally take to form to get to the point of removal?

We are going to have a very clear and good seeing tonight, so I will take out the BV and try them on some brighter star clusters and M42 with both sets of EP's and take some notes.

Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics