Photo

Is it sacrilegious...

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#26 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I usually agree with Rod about 1/2 the time.. LOL well perhaps a little more..
But he is 1000% right about this, all the other red dots or projection finders block out so much light they are practically useless, Only thing they are good for is
bright star alignment for go to, even then YUK.

Let me add that you can get standoff type brackets for Telrads that maybe make for a neater looking installation, if that's important.

#27 m2k

m2k

Explorer 1

• Loc: Massachusetts, USA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

I used one on my TEC-6...
-Mike

#28 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ok, quick question: do the screws that hold the finder attachment base on the M603 have nuts inside the OTA or is it safe to undo them without opening up the OTA?
TIA

Ant :cool:

#29 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Having both an optical and red dot finder enhances the utility of the telescope. The red dot gets the view close, and the optical dead on. Also, the optical finder gives a telescope view, which makes identifying the object in the main eye piece that much easier. I have used a variety of red dot finders, and in my opinion, the Telrad is superior.

#30 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

It's a 6 inch Russian built utilitarian Maksutov, not the Mona Lisa.
Stick the Telrad on it!
If you have an issue with plastic, buy the Televue Starbeam.
Now if it was a TEC Mak........ :lol:

Steve

#31 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

"...telescopes are tools not holy relics."

Bite your tongue, Unk.

- Jim

#32 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

"...telescopes are tools not holy relics."

Unspeakable !!!
Sacrilege !!

#33 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Let me add that you can get standoff type brackets for Telrads that maybe make for a neater looking installation, if that's important.

AFAIK, there are two standoff brackets. I've tried both for my 8" and 10" Dobs. I like the taller one better. It's easier to lean over the optical finder to reach the Telrad, and my head is comfortably above the OTA.

On the other hand, a Telrad takes up a lot of real estate on a 6" Cat. Put that Telrad on a tall standoff and it looks even more out of place and cumbersome.

As far as it being an offense against the Optics Gods, I've got nothing against sticking a Telrad base on any telescope. These scopes should be thought of as tools. That is what they are - or should be - after all. But IME that Telrad is just too large for small scopes. IMO, a Telrad on a small scope looks a bit ridiculous.

Mike

#34 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Ant,

If you are determined to use a Telrad on the 6" Mak, just stick that sucker right on the OTA. Put the sticky tape on the base, and slap that base on the scope. Don't have it attached to a little Synta mount or something similiar, like some overblown monstrous weed. Just stick it right on the old OTA! The plastic Telrad base is not going to turn the rest of the Mak into plastic. It's not catching!

:grin:
Mike

#35 DoctorNoodle

DoctorNoodle

Apollo

• Loc: Lawn Guyland, NY

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

I dunno. I always thought a Telrad was cool enough to go on any scope.

#36 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Scopestuff has an adapter to fit the Telrad base to a synta shoe, you may be able to adapt it for yours, then it can be added or removed like any other finder.

I like this idea, especially if the Telrad base still attached with tape. That is my aversion.

#37 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Take a look at a Telrad attached to one of those puny little Synta shoes. Doesn't look very secure to me. Snag it and something's going to give. Just sayin'.

Telrad tape is easy to remove. Dental floss and Goop Gone gets it done.

Mike

#38 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

Ok, quick question: do the screws that hold the finder attachment base on the M603 have nuts inside the OTA or is it safe to undo them without opening up the OTA?
TIA

Ant, You've asked this question twice, and I'd like to know the answer as well. So let me ask it again for you…

Can the finder shoes of the M603 be removed from the outside without nuts/retaining clips/whatever coming loose inside the tube?

#39 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

I dunno. I always thought a Telrad was cool enough to go on any scope.

:waytogo:

The important thing with any finder is not how it looks during daylight hours but how comfortable it is to use and how effective it is at night... The tendency is to place the finder towards the rear of the scope but it is often easier to use when it's up towards the front.

Jon

#40 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

I have one on my Intes MN65, and it works great. Iam, however, waiting for an acceptable cast iron version that would better intergrate with the rest of the trimmings on the scope... ;)

#41 Eric63

Eric63

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

And here I find that a Telrad and 8X50 RACI looks pretty cool on my 127Mak! (with the Kendrix Dew Shield too!) ;)

#42 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

TIA

Ant, You've asked this question twice, and I'd like to know the answer as well. So let me ask it again for you…

Can the finder shoes of the M603 be removed from the outside without nuts/retaining clips/whatever coming loose inside the tube?

Thanks, cb. I wonder if anyone will notice? :smirk:

Ant

#43 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

TIA

Thanks, cb. I wonder if anyone will notice? :smirk:

Ant

I've never examined a Maksutov like that, but based on the photo in the beginning of the thread, I think there is a fair chance that the bracket screws are far enough forward that they might be visible over the edge of the primary when looking into the OTA through the meniscus. Have you tried looking with a flashlight?

I guess my suggestion is so obvious that the screw tips (with or without nuts) can't be visible from the front. Otherwise you would have known the answer.

But just in case it aint obvious... :cool:

#44 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

About it being sacrilegious or not:

It kind of might be, as the Scottish weather likely is a bad as ours here in Finland, in which case the scopes tend to spend more time being nice toys to look at rather than through. In that case you need a ring bracket like the one for the optical finder, and a Baarder SkySurfer V, as someone suggested.

On the other hand, the scope is used in the dark, and functionality is king - some of my scopes are accessorized and modified in a way that does definitely not look pretty, but which does enhance functionality, and that is what ultimately matters.

#45 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I guess my suggestion is so obvious that the screw tips (with or without nuts) can't be visible from the front. Otherwise you would have known the answer.

But just in case it aint obvious... :cool:

Hmm. Problem with that theory is it's an Intes, so everything inside is blacker than a very black thing in the middle of a black hole. Then there's the baffles. They're also black. So no, not visible I'm afraid! ;)

Ant:cool:

#46 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Use the Telrad. Remember, it's dark at night.

Charles

#47 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

It's a 6 inch Russian built utilitarian Maksutov, not the Mona Lisa.
Stick the Telrad on it!
If you have an issue with plastic, buy the Televue Starbeam.
Now if it was a TEC Mak........ :lol:

Steve

Heck yeh, stick it on there. I put one on my TEC 140 and just ignored the hairy eyeballs... :shakecane:

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#48 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Beautiful setup Brian!

#49 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini