Need advice...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heath23

Heath23

Vostok 1

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hello! I've been into astronomy for a while but very little imaging. I'm an ATM Dob owner and my only imaging has been snap shots through eye pieces...

So I now have a Nikon D5100 with the standard 18-55 lense. I happen to have a ring and eyepiece adapter in my collection, so I don't need those.

What I'd like to do initially is get into some general wide field photography. I've read about barn door trackers and eq tracking on a tripod. Which do you recommend? And remember that I'd like to be budget conscious... I have a 1 yr old daughter...

From that point I'll likely get a small MAK OTA and do some deeper imaging if my tracking allows and eventually I'll probably break down and dig into an SCT set up, but that's many dollars down the road...

So, barn door or EQ on a tripod? Which will be best for future application and budget? How much should I expect to spend?

#2 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I wonder if something like the Star Tracker from iOptron would be a nice option for you. You are pretty much only doing widefield shots with it, but it is a great way to get your feet wet. They go for less than $400.00 and if you already have a camera tripod, you just add it to that.

As for going to do some deep space imaging, a nice way to get into that when you get your SCT is to use the Hyperstar system from Starizona. But that is long term down the road.

Jason

#3 Heath23

Heath23

Vostok 1

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thank you. I'll give it a look.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics