Celestron 8 SE vs C8 XLT vs EdgeHD 8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davelid

davelid

Lift Off

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi,

I have been trying to find out what the differences are between the Celestron 8 SE (orange), C8 XLT (gray) and EdgeHD 8 (white) optical tubes without much success. Given that the C8 XLT OTA lists at $1,049 and the Nexstar SE mount alone at $520 while the SE set up with mount and OTA is around $1200, it would seem that there must be a significant difference in the OTAs. Also, I was wondering when Celestron shifted production to China? I've heard that all of the orange tube SEs are made in China. Your input will be most appreciated.
Thanks!
Dave

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Dave,

All the C8s are made in China, and have been for a while.

Non EdgeHD scopes all have the same optics, the physical otas may change a bit (slightly different rear cells for example ... but have the same optics). XLT is just a brand for the newer coatings and corrector lens materials and is now used on all C8s.

EdgeHD otas have a few additional mechanical differences but the biggest difference are the changes to the optics, particularly the addition of the corrective lens elements mounted within the baffle tube.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

The SE has XLT coated optics, so it is identical to what you are calling the "C8 XLT." The Edge, among other things, has a set of internal corrective optics to flatten the field and reduce coma.

#4 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

The main visual (as in what you can see) difference is the enhanced clarity and pinpoint stars to the edge of the field from the better optics. It is as close to an APO refractor as I have seen at the price point. The other is a consideration for astrophotography and that is the mirror lock so your mirror doesn't move. The optics also make a difference in ap. it's worth the extra cost

#5 davelid

davelid

Lift Off

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Guys! Given that the optics in the Nexstar SE and C8 XLT optical tubes are the same, it would seem to be a "no brainer" to purchase the Nexstar SE optical tube, tripod and mount since the entire set only costs $150 more than the C8 CLT optical tube by itself. Am I missing something?

Dave

#6 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Celestron tends to do that,includes the mount at a better price point.Even in there higher priced packages.The C8 xlt (se)is a fine telescope and you can get a better mount later if you want..You wont be missing anything.Just remember to go up and right in your final approch (to take slack out of gear train)..But IMHO the HD scope is a nicer view.

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Here is how I see it. Is money an issue regarding the price differences? If I buy another SCT, it will be the EdgeHD. I have read report after report here on Cloudy Nights about its first rate optics. The others are fine also. I believe we should enjoy this hobby within our financial means. I will be 70 in May and have decided to spend all my money before I die so my kids will have to work for theirs like I had to. :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics