12 replies to this topic

#1 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors
  • Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hi all,

2 more reprocessed images, the new processing is virtually noise free while maintaining detail, kudos to Topaz infocus!!

http://img217.images...platolatest.jpg

This Hadley rille image was greatly improved, the old processing had a lot of noise in it!

http://img17.imagesh...eyproctopaz.jpg

cheers

Mike

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Mike,

Definitely excellent. When I use infocus I set thew blur radius to 1.0, but don't play with any other settings (for the planets). Any suggestions on other tweaks that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Paul

#3 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Exquisite. Were these shots made with the 18"?

JimC

#4 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Jim, yup these were with my 18", maybe one day I will use the 30" but that will need some fabulous seeing.

Thanks Paul, for the moon shots (and this image scale) I use out-of-focus blur type (cant notice much diff between the blur types to be honest) and a blur radius of 0.80, the suppress artifacts slider bar I set to 0.20 -- this one balances out the noise with fine detail it seems.
Under the sharpen area I set the micro contrast slider to around 80-90, sharpness to 50-80, and the sharpness radius to the same as the blur radius.
With planets you may need to set the radius to higher, I dunno maybe 1.8-2.2 something like that...

hope that helps

Mike

#5 TorstenEdelmann

TorstenEdelmann

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Landsberg, Germany

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Mike,
Definitely one of the best Plato images I've ever seen. Outstanding!
Torsten

#6 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Thanks Jim, yup these were with my 18", maybe one day I will use the 30" but that will need some fabulous seeing.

Thanks Paul, for the moon shots (and this image scale) I use out-of-focus blur type (cant notice much diff between the blur types to be honest) and a blur radius of 0.80, the suppress artifacts slider bar I set to 0.20 -- this one balances out the noise with fine detail it seems.
Under the sharpen area I set the micro contrast slider to around 80-90, sharpness to 50-80, and the sharpness radius to the same as the blur radius.
With planets you may need to set the radius to higher, I dunno maybe 1.8-2.2 something like that...

hope that helps

Mike

...and two more great pix :grin: I just went out and downloaded the trial version of Topaz Infocus to give it a shot. I got Plato and the Hadley Rille the same night as the other lunar pix I posted, I want to run them through TI and see what they look like (although I'm pleased with them as they are now). I assume the settings you mention are for raw stacked images with no other wavelet sharpening or anything? I typically stack in AS!2 (sometimes in Registax 5.1; never had much luck with R6) these days with post processing in Astra Image 3.0 Pro for deconvolution and PS CS4 for just about everything else, so I'll plug TI in at the Astra Image stage...does that sound about right? Thanks!

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

#7 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

Love those little craterlets.. So many...

#8 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Super!never seen so detail Plato!
expect more images from you 18"

#9 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Torsten, Sam, Freddy and Brian!

Yes Brian my workflow is from the raw stacked tiff file, I never tried Astra Image, have to give it a look!!

cheers

Mike

#10 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

That Plato is killer. I try Plato every year at least 10 times, never got half of your resolution.

Michal

#11 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Mike, you're really producing some excellent lunar images lately. And I bet you haven't had an ice storm recently. So I'm quite envious.

Seriously, fantastic images.

#12 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks Michal and Paul! Michal it really is in the seeing once you have all the other variables down (collimation, thermal management, capture technique, correct image scale,etc) I am just lucky enough to live in a part of the world that has regular exquisite seeing!

Paul, actually its snowing here right now!! (we're at 5000 feet)

cheers

Mike

#13 HANTO

HANTO

Apollo

• Loc: Unterallgäu, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Impressive shots!

Regards
Torsten

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics