Sky and Telescope Digital Edition

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

A few days ago I received an e-mail from Sky and Telescope. Since I was a subscriber, they were offering their digital edition at no charge. I downloaded it to my ASUS Android 10 inch Tablet and gave it a try.

For an App, it is fine. However, when holding the Tablet in one hand, and the magazine in another, there is no comparison--the magazine wins. The App is fine as far as an App goes. Some pages load faster than others, but with few glitches. Of course, you are only reading one page at a time.

With the magazine, you can have two pages side by side open for comparison. You can more easily flip back and forth between different sections of the magazine. I like the heft and feel of the magazine over the Tablet. In short, I just plain like reading Sky and Telescope via magazine vs. Tablet.

I am glad to have the digital edition for those times I travel, or when I am mobile in and around town. I do like having the S&T digital edition as a backup.

However, I would have a real dilemma should Sky and Telescope stop printing its magazine edition and go with a digital edition only. I am about 70 30 that I would not subscribe to a digital edition only.

I am not an anti digital reader. I have several news Apps that I read every day--USA Today, Drudge, Taptu (my favorite) 360, Huffington Post, and News Max, just to name a few. However, these are news Apps. They are designed primarily to provide information. They have few graphics.

With my astronomy magazines, I just plain prefer having a printed copy in my hands to read. I truly hope that Sky and Telescope does not go all digital. Fine to offer a digital edition along with a printed version. If S&T goes all digital, it would be a sad day for me to have to pick up the phone--and cancel my subscription. :confused:

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Who says S&T is ready to discontinue the print version? And isn't it nice to have the digital edition _at no extra cost_?

#3 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Who says S&T is ready to discontinue the print version? And isn't it nice to have the digital edition _at no extra cost_?

No one's saying--but I'm predicting. Yes, I like having the digital edition. But, I don't like where I think this is going.

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Who says S&T is ready to discontinue the print version?

No one's saying--but I'm predicting.

I wouldn't venture to guess what will happen a decade from now; that's a long time. But it's hard to imagine S&T suspending its printed version within the next few years. At the moment, it clearly has much larger readership than the digital edition.

There are a huge number of readers who would rebel if we stopped the print edition -- including all the editors. And I suspect the advertisers wouldn't like it much, either.

#5 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Could be worse, The digital version comes at no extra charge with a subscription, unlike a certain other magazine.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

No one's saying--but I'm predicting. Yes, I like having the digital edition. But, I don't like where I think this is going.

I predict FLYING CARS, but I am not holding my breath waiting. :cool:

I have little doubt most magazines will eventually go digital only. But some won't, and it ain't gonna happen tomorrow. It will happen when people are not buying print magazines, but that ain't happened yet. ;)

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I predict FLYING CARS, but I am not holding my breath waiting. :cool:

I have little doubt most magazines will eventually go digital only. But some won't, and it ain't gonna happen tomorrow. It will happen when people are not buying print magazines, but that ain't happened yet. ;)

Buy your printed materials now, at your bookstore, while you can.

http://www.bizjourna...e-may-close-...

#8 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Could be worse, The digital version comes at no extra charge with a subscription, unlike a certain other magazine.

:lol:

#9 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I love reading on my Nexus 7 and I love the digital edition is terrific and works great on a laptop.

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

http://www.bizjourna...e-may-close-...

Nah...that has more to do with Barnes and Nobles' pitiful "management" style than people wanting or not wanting books. :lol:

#11 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

:penny: :penny:

Hey, we are still having this book vs. digital discussion in another thread. Gene, how many times are you going to bring up the same discussion? Sure, the book and digital divide is getting wider. Some people prefer to get their information from paper, while others prefer digital formats. But do we have to see the same discussion popping up again and again?

#12 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Gene, how many times are you going to bring up the same discussion?

Please read my original post. I did not bring up the same discussion. My original post compared Sky and Telescope in magazine vs. digital. I was comparing the differences and what I liked and did not like in the digital version. I was lamenting that I hoped there would always be a printed version of the magazine. Other posters shifted the thread to broader topic, not me. However, to your point, moderator, I recommend that this thread be locked and have people moved to this thread:
http://www.cloudynig...ooks/Number/...

:lock2: :lock2: :lock2:
GeneT

#13 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Well, I for one wouldn't mind (in most cases, not all) seeing the publishing of books go away.

It takes a huge amount of energy to cut down a tree, transport it, and go through the steps to turn it into lumber and pulp to make paper.
Then there are the hazardous inks used to print it (and the mining of the ores and creation of the chemicals), and the energy consumed to transport it and the waste when it is no longer wanted.

Now I'm not advocating the cessation of all printing on paper. But, at least as far as periodicals are concerned, I'm in the process of converting all the magazines I read to ONLY digital copies. I read them on a 24" monitor, with two pages side-by-side, just like a printed magazine, and I can find an article or page faster than with a printed edition.

The last 50 books I read were in a digital download version only. I still have all those books, and can re-read them any time I want, but no trees were cut down to make the authors' words accessible to me.

We, as consumers, have to be more aware of how what we do or buy affects the entire planet so we do not permanently damage the planet and impoverish our descendants.

That's it for my soap box. But I thought it might be worthwhile to point out a different viewpoint.

But give me printed star atlases!!! :lol: :tonofbricks:

#14 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well, I for one wouldn't mind (in most cases, not all) seeing the publishing of books go away.

:tonofbricks: :flame: :smashpc: :poke: :bangbangbang: :ohmy: :scared: :dabomb: :vomit: :mrevil:

#15 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

:tonofbricks: :flame: :smashpc: :poke: :bangbangbang: :ohmy: :scared: :dabomb: :vomit: :mrevil:

:lol: :lol: :foreheadslap:
Let me re-phrase that: "the publishing of books in print-on-paper form".

#16 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

Gene, how many times are you going to bring up the same discussion?

Please read my original post. I did not bring up the same discussion. My original post compared Sky and Telescope in magazine vs. digital. I was comparing the differences and what I liked and did not like in the digital version. I was lamenting that I hoped there would always be a printed version of the magazine. Other posters shifted the thread to broader topic, not me. However, to your point, moderator, I recommend that this thread be locked and have people moved to this thread:
http://www.cloudynig...ooks/Number/...

:lock2: :lock2: :lock2:
GeneT

Gene...

I apologize for coming across so heavy. Yes, I do think your comparison between the print and digital version was valuable--particularly for those of us who only take in one version, be it print or digital.

Thank you for your posts and please excuse my previous clumsy words.

:bawling:

#17 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Thank you for your posts and please excuse my previous clumsy words.

I believe I am the clumsy word champ. :grin:

#18 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I see no reason to lock the other thread, so long as this one stays on the topic of sky and telescope and or the digital version, and not books going digital we will be fine.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics