Rob Miller. How long should I wait?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I emailed him 10 days ago. Zero response.

I used robmiller1@frontier.com and robmiller1950@comcast.net

Neither email bounced. In my email I basically said that it was a done deal on my part. All he has to do is contact me and he has a sale.....

Does anyone know how to actually get in touch with him?

Thanks

Dave

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

A couple things. His internet has been intermittent. Also, they're forming a new company. Also, also, tripod production was stopped before Xmas because of that and will -- hopefully -- be back up in March/April.

I got this from Rob when I was having trouble getting in touch with him (I used THREE emails and the phone).

Hope that helps,

Paul

#3 jarin

jarin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern VA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the info Paul. I have the Tri36M that I got from Rob last March or so. What a nice piece. I have a friend who tried in vain to get in touch with him recently to get the same tripod, and ended up getting the Bisque tripod (MX mounts for us both).

So this pretty much explains why he's a bit unresponsive.

Jeff

#4 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info Paul. I have the Tri36M that I got from Rob last March or so. What a nice piece. I have a friend who tried in vain to get in touch with him recently to get the same tripod, and ended up getting the Bisque tripod (MX mounts for us both).

So this pretty much explains why he's a bit unresponsive.

Jeff

In my opinion, this explains nothing. Customers should be the number one priority. Yes, starting up a new company requires oversight but that should not come at the expense of current or future customers and prior customer support. It doesn't take a whole lot to write a generic e-mail reply with a short explanation of what is in progress and anticipated resumption of business. I have been a major proponent of RM and his superb tripods over the past couple of years but I personally find the current lack of communication to be a significant red flag.

#5 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

You know I'm a proponent of his tripods. I got lucky and got mine when promised. But If I had difficulty reaching him, it would motivate me to look elsewhere. I'm not the most patient person when it comes to astro gear.

He builds a nice product, too bad you cannot buy it from stock. Hopefully soon.

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

M13 & Adam...I sorta felt the same way, but then realized that astronomy is SUCH a niche area and so many people sell products, but they actually have other primary careers, so I've learned patience. If I NEED something, then I'd buy elsewhere, if I don't (like Rob's tripod right now, as my iOptron pier works great, just trying to streamline the workflow), then I'll wait.

Better communication? Yup, that'd be great, but I ain't going to get torn up over it. If I don't buy from Rob (or, whomever), then I don't. Now, if it's a bigger company (like Meade, Celestron, etc.) then I expect more professionalism, but for the "little guys," if it doesn't work for you, don't buy. Getting mad can't really help when it's a lone person or two trying to do this in their spare time.

On the other, other hand, I like to give credit to the really good guys, too, which a lot of people forget to do, usually just complaining when it's bad. iOptron's been great with customer support, the PowerNewt guys, Astrofactors.

Me, wish I could have a Rob Miller tripod right now...but if he's going through a rough patch, then I feel for him, since it's not really going to change my world one way or the other that much. If enough people can't/don't/won't buy from him, then he folds, and that's rougher still.

Just my 1/2 cents,

Paul

#7 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I always called Rob whenever I had to get in touch with him. If he didn't answer he always called me back within a day.
His number is listed on his contact page
http://www.catamount....com/contact-us

#8 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

That's just the way Rob is. We're lucky to have him at all. He could drop dead tomorrow.

#9 Matt Houston

Matt Houston

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I also tried by phone and email, no response. I'll just buy the Bisque tripod.

#10 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

... the bisque tripod is a Rob Miller at a hefty markup, if i recall some past forum posts correctly..

#11 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I am really really hoping Rob gets back to his machining soon and am curious what he would come out with next. In my past emails with him he had mentioned he was working on high precision high capacity mounts (<1" PE) at very affordable prices.

#12 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Didn't he design the AP 1200? He is obviously a great engineer.

#13 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yes, AP1200,900 and Paramount ME.

#14 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I can't wait to see what her comes up with next! The last time I talked to him he was moving his operation to a new space.

#15 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Man, a new mount in the world! I wonder what size-range he'll be aiming for. Would he take on the mighty Mach 1, or go big and hefty? Inquiring minds want to know!

Paul

#16 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

That was a year ago, so who knows when/if :shrug:

#17 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

M13 & Adam...I sorta felt the same way, but then realized that astronomy is SUCH a niche area and so many people sell products, but they actually have other primary careers, so I've learned patience. If I NEED something, then I'd buy elsewhere, if I don't (like Rob's tripod right now, as my iOptron pier works great, just trying to streamline the workflow), then I'll wait.

Better communication? Yup, that'd be great, but I ain't going to get torn up over it. If I don't buy from Rob (or, whomever), then I don't. Now, if it's a bigger company (like Meade, Celestron, etc.) then I expect more professionalism, but for the "little guys," if it doesn't work for you, don't buy. Getting mad can't really help when it's a lone person or two trying to do this in their spare time.

On the other, other hand, I like to give credit to the really good guys, too, which a lot of people forget to do, usually just complaining when it's bad. iOptron's been great with customer support, the PowerNewt guys, Astrofactors.

Me, wish I could have a Rob Miller tripod right now...but if he's going through a rough patch, then I feel for him, since it's not really going to change my world one way or the other that much. If enough people can't/don't/won't buy from him, then he folds, and that's rougher still.

Just my 1/2 cents,

Paul

Paul,
I sent Rob e-mails to both his e-mail addresses twice over the last month.
I did not get any response nor any indication that the e-mails were even opened.
I can call him but as I am in Israel I am not sure he will call back.

This is not an attempt to bash Rob (I realize he may have a lot on his hands now trying to establish a new venture single handedly).

It's just that there's a hot new DM6 mount burning my fingers for want of a proper tripod to ride on :jump::tomatodance:

If he just wrote back - " Hi, I'll get back to you in April" or even better, left a message to the general public at his website saying when he is going to taking orders again,
I would at least know where I stand and be able to make an informed decision.

That said, I would still love to be able to order a tripod from him if he is still in bussiness. :whee:

#18 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

Just thinking,
Since S. Bisque are selling his tripods for the MX, maybe Rob was forced to sign a non-compete agreement so he won't sell his own tripods at a lower price ??
This often happens when companies sub-contract items from other manufacturer and want to avoid a competing product undermining their sales.

Who knows :shrug:

#19 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

could be. maybe SB commits to buy a certain volume from him. So that's food on the table guaranteed.

#20 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

If RM wanted to increase his sales on these tripods he does not need help from SB. There are folks waiting to buy. That includes those with AP mounts also. He could boost sales easily by making his website ready.
However if SB is really did that and word got out it would be very bad for their reputation.
Its all speculation right now until we hear from him.

#21 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Asterdon - that's why I went with Joe at the Binoscope company. Just didn't want to wait and it's very uncertain how long the wait would be. Rob at least got back to me, said he was starting a new company, someone else here said he was moving locations, so there you have it. Not what I would do (I agree: a brief response would work just fine), but, as Popeye says: "I yam what I yam."

Paul

#22 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Paul,
If Rob is indeed the engineer who designed the AP 900, 1200 and the paramount ME, I will willingly suffer any reasonable delay caused by the fact that he is what he is :rainbow:
:fishing: :gramps:

#23 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hey, new mount I'm totally willing to wait on. Tripod...not so much. Sure hope he's makin' a new mount.

Paul

#24 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

i haven't actually heard of any verification from AP that the designs came from him. the claim is some old photos on his web site showing some 1970s designs that look suspiciously like the 900/1200.

on the other hand, he has been a long term employee of SB. so the paramount claim makes more sense.

#25 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

You need to see old posts on Y! groups for SB and AP, including those from Roland that will erase your suspicions about him designing the AP/SB mounts. Before he was lured away by Bisque, he worked with AP, who had earlier lured him out of England to US.
Its amazing how someone this talented can remain mostly unknown.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics