• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Itz marcus

Itz marcus

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn NY

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hi,
I've posted this in the cats ans cass section but I would like to hear from my refractor friends. So here goes!

Hi,
I have an EON 120 which I have used and used and used for the last 4 or so years. I now want something with more aperture and I don't think that I can afford to keep the EON if I get the other scope (although I will try at all costs to keep it). Assuming that I can't keep it what would you say to a 9.25 edge hd? Would it seriosly out perform the refractor or will I wind up saying hat the views are soft and then pine away for the refractor? I know I have been spoiled (or deprived) but I've only looked through the EON and no other scope over the last 3.5 years.
Clear skies
Itz

#2 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hi Itz. Well Ive owned refarctors and CATS. Used to own a SW120ED, still own my C9.25 Ultima CAT. I think you will be quite happy with the optical performance of the C9.25, so much so that you wont regret not having the smaller EON. The CAT will obviously not be as grab n go when you want to just go out for those short observing sessions which is part of the beauty of having a smaller refractor. The images in my C9.25 Ultima are outstanding, sharp, contrasty, crisp, NOT soft at all. Bob

#3 Roy McCoy

Roy McCoy

Apollo

• Loc: Glendale, AZ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Hi Itz,

Once you’ve been “spoiled” by refractors you can’t be “unspoiled”.

It takes two sizes of scopes anyhow - one for wide field and one for deep sky.

You already have a nice scope that fills half the equation.

The 9.25 alone will not totally satisfy just as your 120 does not totally satisfy.

Try to keep both.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

It takes two sizes of scopes anyhow - one for wide field and one for deep sky.

There are many advantages to owning two scopes, a smaller refractor and a larger Newtonian or CAT are a good combination. The portability, ease of setup, field of view, freedom from thermal issues.

One major difference between the 120mm refractor and a 9.25 inch CAT is that the refractor will be ready to go and reasonably effective at high magnifications within a few moments after being setup. A larger scope, even one with active cooling fans, will take a considerable amount of time to reach thermal equilibrium, it's a constant battle..

Jon

#5 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

If you do decide to swap the 120 for the 9.25HD you might want to budget for an 80mm G&G refractor for travel, quick looks, and something to use while the big CAT is cooling...

It might be worthwhile to take some extra time, save your pennies and keep both the 120 and the 9.25 if that is an option for the future.

If you decide you want the 120 back - you are stuck.

#6 Itz marcus

Itz marcus

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn NY

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thanx for the replies. I am going to do what it takes to keep the 120. I certainly hope that will work out. I certainly won't get rid of it b4 being certain that i am satisfied with sct. I guess we cld put a regular 9.25 into the mix. I mentioned the edge bec i have been told that celestron ha been really carefull with the optical quality on these sccopes, but i would love opinnions on the regular version as well.
Clear Skies
itz

#7 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

If I was in the market for an SCT it would be the edge version. I love the pinpoint stars at the edge of the field with my refractors and I think I would miss that with a traditional SCT.

#8 snommisbor

snommisbor

Viking 1

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Unless you always observe by yourself, I would keep the refractor. I just love the razor sharp views compared to the softness of the CAT's I had a 8 in and sold it I never looked back. I always get my fill of the big CAT's and DOB's at star parties and get togethers. I find that even then I still am always going to others refractors and staying long. Thats just me though. But being able to reach deeper in to space is your main thing, then a 9.25 would be great and you can always put a reducer on to get a little wider view.

#9 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

The best feedback for answering this question probably lies in the Cats forum and all replies should be to directed to the same question asked in that very forum. Which scope?

This thread is now locked. From the CN TOS:

When posting a new thread, please post it only once in the appropriate forum. Posting an identical thread in multiple forums is not allowed without permission, and duplicate threads may be deleted.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics