Photo

Just got my Lumicon UHC filter!!! And....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

The free clouds that came with it!! I cant wait to use it on my Nexstar 6se, but it has been nothing but overcast. To quench my curiosity, can anyone who owns this filter or a similar one comment on what improvements I should expect on Nebula?

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hi giantsfan92 (NY or SF?)
I own the Orion Ultrablock. If you live near a large city it will improve contrast. The sky will be darker and so will the stars in the FOV. There will be some improvement in details but that comes from the increase in contrast. That has been my experience from my backyard.

#3 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

i also use am ultrabloc

from the city, it allows me to see nebulas that would be invisible.

from a dark site it allows me to see details within the nebulosity.

the next useful filter would be a Olll. the UHC is a nice first choice

#4 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

i also use am ultrabloc

from the city, it allows me to see nebulas that would be invisible.

from a dark site it allows me to see details within the nebulosity.

the next useful filter would be a Olll. the UHC is a nice first choice

X2. Good advice !!

#5 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

I have the celestron LPR/UHC filter (inferior to the Lumicon UHC) but it was able to show me an otherwise invisible Omega nebula in urban skies in my 6SE. Your UHC should serve you very well.

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

You will like the filter. I have the Lumicon UHC and its a very effective filter. Nothing turns a city sky into rural splendor or desert blackness, but there is no disputing the fact that the faintest objects this will reveal for you will be invisible without it. Objects like M17 and M42 literally grow in size with this as well as M8. Planetary nebula as well pop better with the darkened background. The effects are more pronounced than a broadband filter - there will be no doubt that it is either working or not. And of it isnt its merely because you are observing something that is non emission like stars, or many stars[galaxies]. This filter does mute stars dramatically but you want this. Less glare distraction particularly around brighter bothersome stars.

You will be saddened though. When you see how well it works on emission nebula and get used to the increase in contrast youll feel a little disatisfied that such a filter doesnt exist to truly boost galaxy contrast. It would be an amazing thing.

An imperfect analogy of the filters effectiveness is the following...

The city will look like the suburbs,
the suburbs like the country
the country like the desert

the last one - the desert - is my guess as ive never done deepsky from it. Itd be close anyway.

Pete

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

The OIII by the way is a nice next choice and the background will be a little darker but the differnces in details and such can be subtle. Both are EXCELLENT filters. Im still promising myself a broadband deepsky filter but when i decide I need to use one its usually for scenerios where light pollutuion is substantial - like magnitude 4-5 skys. Even an OIII on M57 - while terrific - still isnt perfect under those conditions . It lessens light pollution but when its strong enough its still there, noticeably darker to be sure but still there. Maybe Ill get that deepsky filter one day... for now the UHC and OIII have the bases well covered.

Pete

#8 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

You might find an O-III filter useful as well

#9 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Sorry about the long delay in posting, and thank you all for your replies and advice. I just went out to the dark spot saturday and I had awesome views with the filters, Orion looked awesome and I was also able to make out M1 and a couple others I dont remember.

Also a guy with the astronomy club out there GAVE me a lumicon deep sky and a lumicon OIII filter, they both seem to work pretty well also, overall a nice purchase and now I have 3 filters... cool!

#10 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sorry about the long delay in posting, and thank you all for your replies and advice. I just went out to the dark spot saturday and I had awesome views with the filters, Orion looked awesome and I was also able to make out M1 and a couple others I dont remember.

Also a guy with the astronomy club out there GAVE me a lumicon deep sky and a lumicon OIII filter, they both seem to work pretty well also, overall a nice purchase and now I have 3 filters... cool!

Wow you hit the jackpot!! Glad you like the UHC and now you have some other nice ones, g. Maybe those clouds will stay away for a long time :grin:

#11 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

you are now well equipped. enjoy

#12 giantfan92

giantfan92

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Jackpot Indeed! Now all we need is some clear skies.

#13 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thank that guy .Those filters are not cheap.And they are two of the most useful filters you can have.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics