• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

It would seem that S&T is missing out on a companion field guide opportunity. Sky Atlas 2000 has a companion guide. Pocket Sky Atlas should too.

Regards,

Jim

Yes, I agree a companion guide would be perfect.
I love the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas.
I have bought copies of it for friends as well. Makes a great gift.
I use it for all of my local observing, as there are 1500 DSO, and to be honest I'd be lucky to see 1/4 of them from our regular local observing site.
I only pull out the big atlases when I'm headed out of town to very dark skies.
But the PSA is limited as there is no information about the objects. A companion guide would be high on my list.

Steve

#27 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Steve

I agree as well. The companion would be a good seller, I think.

#28 pjglad

pjglad

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Some time ago on CN I read that there was an effort or proposal to publish the PSA in a full size edition. Is that effort still alive?

#29 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

It would seem that S&T is missing out on a companion field guide opportunity. Sky Atlas 2000 has a companion guide. Pocket Sky Atlas should too.

Regards,

Jim

I love the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas.
I have bought copies of it for friends as well. Makes a great gift.
I use it for all of my local observing, as there are 1500 DSO, and to be honest I'd be lucky to see 1/4 of them from our regular local observing site.
I only pull out the big atlases when I'm headed out of town to very dark skies.
But the PSA is limited as there is no information about the objects. A companion guide would be high on my list.

Steve

I hadn't thought of this before in this way, but the book "Objects in the Heavens" (OITH) has been, effectively, a companion book to the Pocket Sky Atlas (PSA) for me. I commented on OITH a while back (4th ed) in a CN thread (click here).

OITH is about the same size as the PSA, has much descriptive information throughout (including RA/Dec, size, magnitude, and bino/scope use symbols), with about a line for each deep sky object listed and plotted (by constellation). As I mentioned in the old post, the OITH charts are not good enough for me so I need the PSA to find the stuff listed in the OITH.

So a companion guide to the PSA already exists, at least for me -- its name is OITH and I have marked my copy extensively with notes, arrows, etc. Why, just last night I grabbed ONLY those two books and was hunting DSOs in Mon, CMa, and Pup with great success (16 objects!) using my old, orange-tube C-8 sct. Give it a look and you may like it. It is not that expensive (~$30 from the author's website -- birrendesign.com) and it is spiral-bound for easy field use.

#30 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beyond the Ort Cloud and Second Star to the Right

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

Jim after reading your comments and checking the thread and websites,I will order some of these "OITH" for the 3 or 4 PSA I already have. I own many great Atlases from S & T and enjoy them,but as I am getting older and getting tired of hauling loads of stuff with my weak bad back, I can not wait on S&T to make Business desitions. I do truly understand that a business has to take risk ,and I hope in the future they "S&T make a suppliment for the PSA.

#31 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Jim...

I never made the connection before, but you are correct that OITH makes a nice companion to the PSA. Thank you for the post.

#32 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I hadn't thought of this before in this way, but the book "Objects in the Heavens" (OITH) has been, effectively, a companion book to the Pocket Sky Atlas (PSA) for me. I commented on OITH a while back (4th ed) in a CN thread (click here).

OITH is about the same size as the PSA, has much descriptive information throughout (including RA/Dec, size, magnitude, and bino/scope use symbols), with about a line for each deep sky object listed and plotted (by constellation). As I mentioned in the old post, the OITH charts are not good enough for me so I need the PSA to find the stuff listed in the OITH.

So a companion guide to the PSA already exists, at least for me -- its name is OITH and I have marked my copy extensively with notes, arrows, etc. Why, just last night I grabbed ONLY those two books and was hunting DSOs in Mon, CMa, and Pup with great success (16 objects!) using my old, orange-tube C-8 sct. Give it a look and you may like it. It is not that expensive (~$30 from the author's website -- birrendesign.com) and it is spiral-bound for easy field use.

Wow, this looks great.
Thanks for the link.

Steve

#33 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Ranger 4

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

All,

I had mentioned earlier that I had created an observing list in SkyMap Pro Version 9 from the list of objects we were provided. (Thanks again, Richard!)

Well, I eventually created a Word document, with the objects arranged in tables by constellation (alphabetical). As I mentioned in one of my last posts, this document, which is attached, likely misses a few of the objects in the Pocket Sky Atlas. But I really think the vast majority of them are there.

I talked to Tony Flanders, who tells me that by providing the attached document to you, I am not violating any copyright of Sky & Telescope.

Take a look... It's a simple document with object name, type, brightness, and size.

If you find objects from PSA that are missing, please let me know.

I think this will be a handy aid to ovserving with PSA!

Edit: Let me know if I need to upload a different version...such as a rich-text format one!

Attached Files

#34 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Many of us have sung the praises of the Pocket Sky Atlas, but I'm wondering if anyone has created a list of the objects on its maps with data such as magnitude and size.

It would be a handy reference for people to have in the field to quickly determine if their particular scope or binocular is likely to detect an object on a page in the P.S.A.

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

Sky Atlas 2000 has a complete list of objects. They seem similar, and I would almost gurantee every object in the pocket atlas is in the sky atlas 2000 reference guide.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics