• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Intensity2x

Intensity2x

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Processing can really drive a man insane! I'm calling this one my final answer, err... image. Locking it in. Yep.

Posted Image

All of your's are still better I think, but I'm happy with what I got. I'll be revisiting this one, hopefully from darker skies, but I think I learned a lot here. Thanks for everyone's help!

#27 Driven1

Driven1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: N. Central PA near CSSP

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Just another take on it using Startools.

Attached Files

#28 PaulEK

PaulEK

Viking 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I took Neil's re-processing and played with it in the only version of Photoshop I currently have: Elements 6.0. I used the despeckling filter because the dust looked a little grainy, I played with lighting: 'shadows/highlights', 'brightness/contrast', and 'levels'. I also upped the saturation in colors. I just played with it in the same way I do with daytime shots. I don't have any hard and fast rules; I just tweak one thing and then another until it looks good to me. Everyone's idea of what looks good is different (I thought some of the other attempts were too overdone, but that's just me.) I think upping the saturation may not look 'real' (our eyes cannot see any of this, so what is real?), but it brings out detail.

Attached Files

#29 jerry10137

jerry10137

Messenger

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Please pardon my lack of knowledge using DSLR methods. I have a few questions.

To get the original image, is your cannon camera using a telephoto lens on piggyback? Attached to the focuser non magnified or magnified from an eyepiece to the camera? Sorry if this is an oddball question as I'm pretty new at the photography. Thanks in advance.

#30 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

hi - it's prime focus photography. the telescope is acting like a (really long focal length) fixed prime lens. no eyepiece, no piggyback. the camera is directly attached to the telescope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics