• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Gang,

I have the tripod for my LX850, it is substantial. I will be using it in my mobile observatory. I will create three holes in the floor and place the tripod legs/feet on three pyramid bases.

Or, should I get a portable pier and create only one hole in the floor. Portable piers never have seemed as stable as a really good tripod.

Thought?

Tony

#2 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

No one with an opinion, this has to be a first on CN.

Tony

#3 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: Wells, Maine 04090

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Tony,

The pier might be more stable if it's designed correctly.... in that most of the portable ones that are rock solid [such as the AP Piers] rely on 3 tension rods that go from the side of the pier down[and out] to the pier legs. You would have to have 3 additional holes in the floor to accommodate for this. But you would need a level surface to sit it on. The tripod would allow for more adjustment for setting up on uneven ground beneath your mobile observatory. -Tim

Gang,

I have the tripod for my LX850, it is substantial. I will be using it in my mobile observatory. I will create three holes in the floor and place the tripod legs/feet on three pyramid bases.

Or, should I get a portable pier and create only one hole in the floor. Portable piers never have seemed as stable as a really good tripod.

Thought?

Tony

#4 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thank you Tim, I was thinking the same thing. What are your thoughts on building the pyramids out of angle iron. Or, maybe out of chunks of wood.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Tony

#5 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I would go tripod. Stability can be good on a portable pier, but handling is much easier with a tripod.

Attached Files

#6 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: Wells, Maine 04090

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Perhaps you could describe your portable observatory in a bit more detail? That would certainly help others come up with some ideas for you. -Tim

Thank you Tim, I was thinking the same thing. What are your thoughts on building the pyramids out of angle iron. Or, maybe out of chunks of wood.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Tony

#7 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

The observatory is 23' long. Scope room is 8'x10'. Living quarters and warm room upfront.

Floor is 18" from ground. Open roof w/retractable fabric cover.

Floor beams are lengthwise and 12" apart. Barn door at back of scope room.

Scope is a 14" Meade. LX850, will be here next week or the week after.

Will post photos soon.

Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics