Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Jan 28th, 1986...

#2 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I will never forget that day. I was at work where I sold computers, did software installs and some TV/VCR repair so I had a TV playing. Everyone else in the office building kept coming into my tiny office space so I finally parked a TV out on the counter where it could be watched. Had people in and out all day. Lots of tears.

#3 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I had stayed home from work that day to watch the raw feed from NASA on my big dish satellite TV. Watched all the pics of ice on the gantries and then the real time loss. Then hours of pics of debris falling and beginning recovery. Sickening and tragic!

#4 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I had to leave before the launch to make it to class on time. It was a linguistics class, so nobody was following it. I didn't find out until hours later. My heart was broken.

#5 jkaiser

jkaiser

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wood River Junction, Rhode Island

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

I was in high school during a drafting class when we got the news. I was at Cape canaveral for her maiden voyage it was the most fascinating thing I ever saw in my life so inspiring.....Then my son and I were listening to the Columbia reentry and sdaly he had to experience a shuttle disaster.

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

A very sad day, indeed. I remember it well. :(

#7 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

I was at work. We were working on a proposal to NASA to help provide shuttle training and one of the Apollo astronauts was working with us. We had a couple of TVs in the big "war" room where we were working and we were all watching the launch. After the accident, none of us could get back to work. We were emotionally destroyed. Terrible day!!

#8 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Most amazing was the announcement of this tragic accident at NASA-JPL in Pasadena California, where the world press were awaiting images of the planet Uranus taken by the Voyager 2 spacecraft (closest flyby of Uranus occured on 24th January 1986)...

#9 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

What a sad day it was :( I was at a meeting at SLAC and we were discussing something silly like no-one could figure out how to get the positron element working? Anyway I remember this fellow crashing into the conference room "turn on the TV, the shuttle just blew up!" Disbelief turned to astonishment. A catastrophic failure. Everything in the follwing minutes / hours seemed surreal. For some reason I kept thinking of Apollo 1...

#10 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

I was working for TTM Time Telephone Marketing calling people to renew magazine subscriptions.

Everything stopped we watched the TV monitors. I thought this was in the summer.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics