• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I just bought a Telrad for my Z12 to replace the cheap finder scope that came with the it. I had some questions about mounting it though. It came with double sided tape to use for mounting and I am a concerned how durable this will be. I regularly go out in negative temperatures and don't know how the tape will hold up in those temperatures. I realize you can screw it into the OTA with the provided holes in the base which might end up being my best bet. I also read on here somewhere that someone used large zip ties to mount it, is that feasible?

Lastly, I was thinking about mounting it between the focuser and where the old finder scope is, I don't know if that will throw the balance off or not, or if I even have to worry about balance or not.

I know I got lots of questions but this is my first Dob so I am new to this whole set up and just want to make sure I do it right. :help:

Thanks,
Zeke

#2 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

With regards to using large zip ties, how would you tighten the zip tie so it's snug?

#3 edwinh

edwinh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chandler AZ

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Have used the tape before for temporary... have drilled holes in the tube and used screws on the base, left it that way a long time.

Moved my telrads to use the scopestuff telrad rail with finder shoe and just put secondary shoes on my scopes. A plus is that it raises it somewhat, negating the need for the telrad riser I used before. And I can swap out various optical finder, RDF, telrads as I see fit.

#4 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm using double sided tape and it's holding just fine.
Tag

#5 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Ya I didn't think the zip ties was a real reliable way to mount it. I will probably just drill it onto the OTA.

#6 stratocaster

stratocaster

Messenger

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

For me double sided tape works just fine - though I don't have to deal with sub-zero temperatures. I'd rather try that first, though, before drilling holes in my tube.

As to placement, I have a Z10 and placed my Telrad as close to the focuser as possible - in between the focuser and where the original finder was (I sold the original finder). I also use a 2" Telrad riser for comfort - though with the Z12 you may not need/want a riser.

#7 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I've used zip ties for mounting several Telrads and they work fine. You don't need extremely large ties because it is easy to string several together.

As mentioned above its good to place the telrad as close to the eyepiece as practical. You don't want to be moving your head a long way to use it--very tiresome.

JimC

#8 Mark Peterman

Mark Peterman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

The double sided tape that it comes with works fine on metal and sonotube OTAs.

#9 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

The tape holds fine and can actually be easily removed with heat from a hair dryer if necessary in the future.
I recently did what edwinh did and removed the base replacing it with the dovetail base that scopestuff sells,but that is just a personal preference as I can now move my telrad from scope to scope without needing extra base units.
As far as placement is concerned I would advise you to place it to the right of the old finder location. If you ever decide to get a telrad riser it will not interfere with any optical finder that you may use.

Eric

#10 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I used it and it is fine also. You can remove it if you choose without marring the tube.

#11 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I don't know if that will throw the balance off or not, or if I even have to worry about balance or not.

I believe that you can adjust the balance point on a Zhumell scope.

#12 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

With regards to using large zip ties, how would you tighten the zip tie so it's snug?

I used 36 inch zip ties about 1/2 " wide then used Pliers to pull the ties tight. I have had my Telrad on for over a year and its never moved. Two seemed to do the trick.

Ken

#13 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I use the Telrad and have it mounted with the tape and have not had any problems yet. I have thought about this, and if the tape does fail, I will drill a couple of holes and mount it with bolts. I use the Telrad to get me in the neighborhood, then switch over to the visual finder. It's a system that is working well for me.

Posted Image

Jaimo!

#14 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I have my Telrad mounted on a 4 inch riser on the right side of the finder scope and used the double sided tape now for 3 1/2 years with no problem on my Z12. Works just fine for me!

Gary

#15 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

This question has come up before and a few people did mention their tape failing.

Drilling holes is no big deal. Just use a good magnet in a sandwich bag to catch filings and drill while the tube is horizontal. A wood block inside the tube helps you push while drilling. Put some masking tape on the tube and mark your spots. The holes are easier to drill if you dent the two spots with a sharp nail.

The Z12's balance point is easily shifted with a hex key loosening the pairs of bolts in the altitude bearings. Be careful to get both sides moved to the same reference marks.

#16 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

I thought it could be done easily Ken. Thanks for clarifying that point. :bow:

#17 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

No problem. When I decided to use the zip ties I was afraid to drill the holes. So the zip ties were the next best thing. I used a pair of channel-locks and that kept pulling the tie really tight.

I have to say my Telrad is my favorite accessory.

Ken

#18 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

came with double sided tape to use for mounting and I am a concerned how durable this will be.

I live in Montana, and my scope sits in my observatory year around, reaching way below zero temps; and the Telrad tape has held perfectly! This is a commercial heavy duty tape, not the tape bought in many of the local stores; that may not hold securely in fluctuating temps.

You also may be able to get the necessary accessory from ScopeStuff to use the telrad in the base for your original finder.

#19 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

WHAT cheap finder scope came with your Z12 ??

The standard factory included finder on MY Z12 isn't poor quality.It is as good as the rest of the scope.

No disputing a Telrad or similar is a big help getting to the correct stellar neighborhood quickly.

Then the 8x50 is good for finding the exact "address".

#20 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I actually did mount the Telrad with the tape provided last night. I did it between the original finder and the focuser, it seems to fit nice right there. I tightened the base up on the original finder and that helped, it was originally sloppy and didn't hold a zero at all. But now that I tightened the base it seems to stay put. I also decided to leave the original one on to help me with the magnification to like BigC said get me to the right spot after I find the right neighborhood with the Telrad. I might just add the Zipties to the Telrad base just to further sure it up so I can stop worrying about it falling off. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics