• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Giles

Tim Giles

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi all,

I have been reading seemingly endless posts about the LX80. I was wondering if those in the know could give me a few lines on where we are a year on. Is it worth the money, would a purchaser get something that is likely to work out of the box?

#2 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

• Loc: Alabama

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Mine works fine for visual in EQ or ALT/AZ mode with 30lbs of payload. If the danged rain and clouds would ever let up, I might could try it for photography or really load it up in ALT/AZ mode with my C9.25 and 200mm reflector . Mine was shipped to me in December and made in China, if that matters.

#3 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I received mine in August or September and have been real happy with it in altaz with about 25 pounds. I did try to get some numbers from Phd early on but my lack of experience was the real problem.

The weather here has stopped just about any observing since early or mid December. Someday I may learn enough about AP to give the mount a real test.

Right now I'm waiting on a replacement HC from Meade. I killed mine trying to upgrade the firmware.

I wanted the dual OTA feature and liked the Polar and AltAz configuration. If I was buying a mount today it would still be the LX80 or maybe the new VX from Celestron. $1,000 was/is my absolute maximum budget for a mount. There are a lot of other options I'd have looked at if that had been $2,500.

#4 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Just got an LX80 and so far it works as expected. Using it in Alt Az mode for a 127mm f5 Petzval refractor. I really have nothing bad to say about it, but as well I have no interest in AP either.

#5 LTE

LTE

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Scotland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

We had to wait over a year for the LX80 to reach the UK, and I have been very disappointed with it, mainly because of the lack of rigidity and excessive settling time with an 8in F5 Newtonian (20 lbs). Has any one looked inside to see what the problem is?

Tom

#6 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Writing is on the wall; some useful alternatives here.... Thx

#7 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think there is a fair amount of exhaustion with them on this group. Read the threads. If a miracle had happened, you'd know about it.

-Rich

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Depends on your expectations. Based on my use of Jack Huerkamp's 80 (which he no longer has), I'd say it is OK for visual use with a C9.25 and lighter telescope in alt-azimuth mode. In polar, it's just too shaky. There's really no reason to put it in polar, anyway, since you are most assuredly not going to be doing long exposure imaging with this mount.

I also had questions about build quality. It looks good, but aside from several folks having cracked/broken tripod heads, Jack's mount lost its go-to alignment midway through one evening.

;)

#9 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Meade has too many other things to get up and running, so I would say the wait is going to be a bit longer for it to get sorted.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics