• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bobmarleyou812

bobmarleyou812

Messenger

• Loc: CA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Lumicon OIII filter second hand. Received it in the mail today and it appears to have a coating defect/discoloration on the outer quarter of the glass. Please take a look and help me justify that I'm not crazy. Don't mind the dust specs. I'm in the process of working with the original owner about the issue.

Attached Files

#2 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Did the owner disclose the problem before you bought it? I recommend returning the filter if possible.

#3 bobmarleyou812

bobmarleyou812

Messenger

• Loc: CA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Did the owner disclose the problem before you bought it? I recommend returning the filter if possible.

No - it was described as being in "perfect condition" and the pics provided by the seller looked good. However, the sellers pics were taken with the camera lens perpendicular to the filter. If you notice in my pic, I had to tilt the filter to get the defect to show up in the pic.

The owner said they used the filter for years with no issues. They offered to let me try it out first but I think I'm just going to return it for a refund.

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

That really doesn't look like "perfect condition". My OIII isn't a Lumicon, but it sure doesn't look like that. I think you're wise returning it.

#5 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

• Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Yes it looks bad. The "Ring Nebula" is imprinted inside of your filter. Ask for a refund. I got my money back from a eyepiece that had the glue come loose holding the glass elements together. :foreheadslap:

Jim :dob:

#6 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Don (Starman1) commented on this happening to some Lumicon Filters before 2001.

See Here!

This definitely needs to go back or be discounted.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics