• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Comet C/2012 F6 (Lemmon) will soon be reaching naked-eye visibility. However it is currently passing high over Antarctica and visible only to southern hemisphere observers. It will be nearest to Earth on 2013 FEB 05 and nearest to the Sun on MAR 24. Its estimated peak brilliance of +4.2 should occur on MAR 20 while it is too near to the Sun to be seen by naked eyes.

After the comet passes perihelion, it may briefly become visible to naked eyes in the northern hemisphere. I’ve created six related graphics with data that can be seen at: www.CurtRenz.com/comets

Photos and descriptions of the comet would be welcome additions to this thread.

#2 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks Curt, will this be a morning or evening comet for us in the Northern hemisphere when we can view it ?.
Any finder charts ?

#3 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Curt, will this be a morning or evening comet for us in the Northern hemisphere when we can view it ?.
Any finder charts ?

You're welcome, Dave.

For observers at latitudes similar to Chicago (e.g. northern Ohio), the comet will be visible in the east before sunrise beginning in mid-April and for many months thereafter. It will be visible in the north-northeast after sunset beginning in mid-June and for many months thereafter. However, its stellar magnitude is expected to become dimmer than +6.5 beginning around late April.

While it is currently circumpolar for southern hemisphere observers, beginning in June it will become circumpolar for northern hemisphere observers for millennia. That's why by mid-June we will be able to see it before sunrise and after sunset.

A simple equatorial finder chart through the end of April is on my comets webpage: www.CurtRenz.comm/comets . I’ll add more dates in March. On that page I also provide an ephemeris that will be updated as the needs arise.

#4 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Thanks! Curt, hopefully i can get some shots of it.
Should be a good year for comets..

#5 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Great shot of Comet Lemmon on Spaceweather
http://spaceweather....upload_id=76162

#6 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Wow, a beautiful image. Thanks for the view.

Rich (RLTYS)

#7 legendsatlunch

legendsatlunch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I have spent the past week or so trying to locate this comet!
lol I have been 40 - 50 % sure I had found it. mainly with binoculars, its been to windy here for the scope. but last night, though patchy cloud got in the way a bit... I'm now 90% sure I found it!!... just above and beside the small Magellanic cloud, a small furry ball of light. I couldn't make out the tail nor did it have any green color to it..( something I'm really looking forward to seeing... if possible). I dont have a camera mount so I cant get photo's of it ( wouldn't know how with something that small~!! anyway...) I'll keep following it and hope to put the scope on it next week or over the weekend...

#8 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

nor did it have any green color to it

You need long exposure astrophotography to "see" the comet colour as your cones in your retina don't get bright enough light to let you see colour in real time

#9 legendsatlunch

legendsatlunch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Ahhhh! Thanks Tonk, I didn't know that! will keep following it though... It's the first comet I've tracked, or seen for that matter! lol...Cheers

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics