Thanks Storm!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Had a stong storm last night and the only damage was it knocked over a neighbors security light pole! :jump:....Phil

#2 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Well darn...doesn't that just suck lol. Now just discretely have it removed and hope it doesn't get replaced.

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Just tell them its Gods way of reminding them that he created the skies dark with just enough light to keep us interested......

#4 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I just drove past it and it looked so good a layin' thar all dead like. What's bad though is that it actually belongs to the county. And even though we're a relatively poor county, it seems everything here is run so darned efficiently (it seems), so I'm sure as soon as these clouds lift they'll be right on it :bawling: !

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Had a stong storm last night and the only damage was it knocked over a neighbors security light pole! :jump:....Phil

See--an act of God on your side. :grin:

#6 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

God's ALWAYS on my side GeneT :cool:! Man, I hope they never replace that thing. I just came back through again and while its cloudy and rainy, I could tell a big difference. It's dark coming up my road now. But that light illuminated an elderly neighbors house and I'm sure she made a call as soon as that thing hit the ground. There's one neighbor that actually has three bright security lights illuminating his house. Sheeze, how do they sleep at night! Maybe the next storm, if I'm lucky....Phil

#7 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Depending on how well you know them, you might discreetly inquire if they're replacing it. I would not assume they haven't noticed. Offer to show them the night sky and gently mention light pollution's negatives. If they're adamant about replacing it, you could offer to pay extra to get a full cut-off fixture...

#8 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Ken, I talked to her son-in-law who owns the house and unfortunately, he told me they will be replacing it. I tell ya, if were practical for me I probably would consider paying extra for a cut-off feature but she lives just far enough away, maybe 300 yds. I'm sure for many, that that may sound quite a distance but believe me, it's annoyingly bright. Hopefully, it will be down at least long enough for the weather to clear here in a few days along with the waning moon.... Phil

#9 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

I am fortunate enough to have a disconnect for the streetlight I can shut off when observing.

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Ken, I talked to her son-in-law who owns the house and unfortunately, he told me they will be replacing it. I tell ya, if were practical for me I probably would consider paying extra for a cut-off feature but she lives just far enough away, maybe 300 yds. I'm sure for many, that that may sound quite a distance but believe me, it's annoyingly bright. Hopefully, it will be down at least long enough for the weather to clear here in a few days along with the waning moon.... Phil

You might ask him if it would be possible to have a shield (black paint, even!) facing you.

#11 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Carol, unfortunately if I did that it would block her light. The lamp pole stands over a group of 5 mailboxes and from there about 50ft. across a lane, is her house. Then in a straight line it's 300 yrds. to my place. I've got a good place to view that blocks her light directly (and everyone elses) but like most of us, it could be alot better. I may wish soon that these lights around me were all I have to contend with because less than three miles from me they're going to start surface mining soon. So it's with much sadness that I write, that this once lovely green and fertile valley I'm afraid, will soon resemble one big, lit-up moonscape :( ..... Phil

#12 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

Sorry to hear about the mining coming in. I sincerely hope that the lighting will not be too awfully bad.

#13 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thank you Carol :). They're going to start three miles north and away of me. I understood this will operate for 5 to 7 years. After that, I conceive they'll reverse course, cross the highway east and head back toward my place. Things could be worse obviously, so for now I'll just have to address those things that I do have some control over and just enjoy finally, a clear night tonight :jump:....Phil

#14 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Had something similar here in Denver, they drilled a gas well about 1/2 mile from the DAS dark site, lit up like daylight for months. Appears it was a dry well, as they left after a few months, and haven't drilled another close by (they would have had they struck gas). They're fracking Colordao up all over the place....

#15 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

When I started this thread I forgot all about them starting to strip mine close to me. Only after I started typing about my security light conundrum I'm like, 'Oh yeah, that's right, there's a much bigger problem looming than a silly ol' light pole'! I've always been a believer that man has a right to utilize and tame the land, but now that I'm being personally and directly effected by the 'utilizing' and 'taming', I'm kinda reconsidering that belief. We'll see! :lol: :o ..... Phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics