What's New in SynScan EQ official firmware release

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

• Loc: WA, USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I could not seem to find a What's New document for the SynScan EQ 3.32 official firmware release.
http://www.skywatche...s1=1&class2=101
Does anyone know the full details of this new 3.32 firmware?

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Well the most important new feature is the polar align routine similar to the celestron's all-star polar align. I test this since 3.28 beta firmware and am very happy with it. It allows very good polar alignment suitable for photography in minutes. You can find more details about it in the new product manual.

Edit: Here is the link to manual:

http://www.skywatche...HandControl_...

The new polar align procedure is on page 35 (11.3 Polar Alignment without Polar Scope).

#3 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Theres also a new feature whereby the mount goes weird and fails to align......allegedly :)

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Not sure if you are kidding or not despite your smiley. Anyhoo... Quite the opposite. In my experience, the alignment routine has been improved quite a bit.

The alignment star choice is now much more automated. In the past you basically had to select the best stars from a list, but now, based on my testing of the beta here, it does a pretty good job of picking stars for you. :cool:

#5 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Rod,

Can you still pick stars from a list for alignment?

Thanks,

George

#6 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Yes you can but the HC automatically selects stars that will give good alignment and put them in the list of selectable stars. You have choice but whatever you choose gives good results.

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yep, think of this as a much more "NexStar" like HC. ;)

#8 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like a great upgrade.

George

#9 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

• Loc: WA, USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Awesome - thanks all. I just upgraded my HC to the v3.32

#10 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Going to tackle this tomorrow. Anything I need to be concerned about? I read the instructions on the SkyWatcher web site -- seems straightforward.

-- Chris

#11 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

In fact there is nothing complicated about this update. Just follow the instructions and everything should be ok.

#12 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Rod - kind of kidding BUT I have seen a few posts on boards of people saying after alignment the mount goes whacky. No way of knowing if its user error or some weird bug.

3.27 does everything I need so I am content to leave it alone and not risk being on the receiving end of any possible problems - when you have had cloud for almost three straight months your less inclined to mess with stuff in case it goes loopy on you and you miss the one night your going to get a view of anything.

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I tested it thoroughly and had no wackiness. I _could_ break the AllStar routine if I tried, by choosing stars no one would normally choose for polar alignment. But I had no complaints about the go-to alignment, and would hope Synta fixed whatever was bugging the AllStar code. ;)

To be honest, when the mount has to work exactly right--for long exposure imaging, for example--I just use EQMOD. However, I am happy to say the HC has really come a long way in the five years I've owned the mount... :cool:

#14 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

The manual says at page 24 I think that this version supports auxiliary encoders placed on the mount shafts, which would allow manually moving the mount without losing track of where it was pointing . Is this feature a new one , what mounts support it and how well does it work ? The manual says that if high precision pointing is desired, the auxiliary encoders should be disabled in the controller software .

#15 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

This is supported in the new AZ-EQ6 mount. I have it shut off since I don't see a need for it. I guess if you are more use to manually moving a scope to objects, it would come in handy.

JohnD

#16 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Yesterday i tested the 3.32 final firmware and the all-star polar align. It works very well. After the all-star polar align i verified polaris position in the polar scope and it was exactly where it should according to both HC calculation and polar finder program. Here are some tips to be sure that the new routine will work.

1. When setting up the mount put polaris in the big circle of the polar scope. You can center it if it will be easier to you.

2. Make 3-star alignment and during it center the stars as precise as possible. I use the live view of my dslr with enabled grid to do it.

3. Make the polar alignment as described in the manual. When selecting star to do it be sure that this star was not used previously in the 3-star alignment. This gives best results for me.

4. After polar alignment is ready park the mount , turn it off and back on and make another 3-star alignment (do not select to resume from park position).

I did that and the result was perfect polar alignment and goto accuracy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics