Is this a good NexStar deal?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 johneel

johneel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

$800 for used, one-year-old NexStar 8SE? What do you think? Obviously I have to check it out closely but it's one year old comes with the original equipment. Since it lists at $1200 new, it seems $800 could be a good deal. And, yes, it's the right scope for me --all visual, no photos, lightweight and quick to set up. I value this forum's opinions. Should I pull the trigger? (I posed this in Cats & Casses too.)

#2 NorskeBob

NorskeBob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oswego, NY

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Seems like a good price - the question is why the person is selling it and if there are any "add on's" with it. Enjoy my 8SE.

#3 johneel

johneel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

He upgraded to a CGEM 9.25HD. Thanks.

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hi John:

Not a "steal", but certainly reasonably priced for a year old 8SE in good condition. If I was trying to save a few bucks and I could check out the condition first, I'd pay that for it.

-Dan

#5 ke4kso

ke4kso

Explorer 1

• Loc: Chiefland Fl.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Are You getting the remaining year of warranty? If so it an even better deal.

#6 johneel

johneel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Oops. It's not one-year old. He bought it used 3 years ago for $600. Nevermind.

#7 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

800 would be an acceptable price even if it were 3 years old..not great buy acceptable.

BUT since he paid $600 (used I assume) its older and I get a feeling in my gut that this guy is a used car salesman OR is mentally off his rocker

Bottom line the OTA itself is worth $300 or so...

Bob G.

#8 mrjohneel

mrjohneel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

It was a Craigslist posting. The seller didn't actually lie, but I was able to find other details. So it's not one-year old, but actually four and there was an owner before him. Too much uncertainty for me to lay out $800. But it got me really looking at theNexStar 8Se and I may buy a new one for more money if that makes sense. Thanks to all for your input.

#9 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Too much uncertainty for me to lay out $800.

Agreed. :waytogo:

-Dan

#10 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

So let me get this straight...

He pays $600 for it, but wants $800?

He says it is 1 yr old (or the Ad does) and it's actually 4 years old??

The seller didn't actually lie, but I was able to find other details.

In what way doesn't he lie? Either it is 1 year old (as advertised) or 4 years old!

Would you buy a used car off this guy??

Either walk away or offer him Bob's estimate of $300 and see what he says :whistle:

Art

#11 johneel

johneel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

He said he "had it for a year." I assumed it was one-year old. So it's not a lie. Listen, no harm no foul. He asked for $900. I offered $700. We compromised at $800. I only found out he paid $600 by reading some postings he made on an astronomy forum three years ago. (Nothing gets erased on the internet!)

#12 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

good for you following up the electronic paper trail

#13 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

So let me get this straight...

He pays $600 for it, but wants $800?

He says it is 1 yr old (or the Ad does) and it's actually 4 years old??

The seller didn't actually lie, but I was able to find other details.

In what way doesn't he lie? Either it is 1 year old (as advertised) or 4 years old!

Would you buy a used car off this guy??

Either walk away or offer him Bob's estimate of $300 and see what he says :whistle:

Art

Wait a minute!!!

There is no law or moral obligation to sell something for less than one paid for it.In what is called a free market the buyer and seller mutually agree on a price. If the buyer later discovers he could have bought an identical item for less,or much less, then that is a sign the buyer was too hasty.Or perhaps the buyer wanted or needed the item without delay.

If the poster had found and bought an $800 telescope for $300 then the commenters would be congratulating him on a great deal.I really doubt anyone would have been castigating him for not making the seller aware of the item's commonly accepted value.

There are many people who expect to get previously owned items for practically no cost;and then there are the sellers who expect to recover every dime they originally paid for an item.Neither view is realistic.

#14 wakk0

wakk0

Explorer 1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Agree with BigC

#15 johneel

johneel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, BigC, that seems about right. Like I said, no harm no foul. What I learned from all this is ... I think the NexStar is the scope for me. I gotta get one.

#16 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

By the way my Nexstar 8SE was used and I am probably the third owner.Just the same the scope was spotless and fully functional.It is sad but I suspect many of these nice scopes atre bought as presents or by people who don't take the time to read and follow the instructions,and when it doesn't work magically,then get rid of it without ever seeing the wonders it might have shown them.I have bought several scopes in pristine condition ,and the original owners barely used because they didn't know how!There is no need to be afraid of used gear ,just as long as you know what you are getting.Very few companies allow transfer of warranty so you are likely no more ,or less, protected buying a one day-old scope as a three year-old one.There is even a question if warranties will be honored on gear bought through returns warehouse,that is, those people who sell all the unclaimed,lost,and damaged in shipping goods plus stores' customer returns and open box items.Should be fine buying open box and demos from actual licensed dealers.

#17 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hi BigC

My NexStar 6SE was 2nd hand. The previous owner had had it for 18 months before he sold it in order to fund a university degree.

Having researched the market, I knew that my scope was a bargain, so realised that there wasn't much room for haggling - even so, I got a bunch of accessories including a powertank and £50 (approx $80) off the asking price.

If I had found out that the vendor had only paid $600 and was asking $800 I'd be pointing out that the scope was now several years older, so I'd offer him the $600 and see what he said. That way, he he hasn't lost out.

You could also point out that you could get a scope much younger than the one he's selling and what incentive do you have for buying his (older) scope at a premium?

Of course, you may disagree. Knowing that the vendor had bagged a bargain, I wouldn't be particularly happy if my purchase resulted in a (significant ~ 33%) proft-margin on used merchandise.

Current price for a brand-new 8SE with a 2-yr guarantee is $1200. When Celestron have a sale, they are to be had for around $1000.

Would you be happy with a 4-year old scope with no guarantee (and, in truth, no idea as to how well the scope has been treated by its various owners over the years) at 80% of a brand-new price compared to a new scope and a 2-yr guarantee (plus vendor support)? I'm sure I wouldn't be.

Too high a price for the age/risk I'm afraid in my humble opinion. YMMV of course.

Art

#18 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

For a used 8SE in excellent condition,and with no accessories I personally would pay $600 ,but no more.

If the seller happens to have purchased and is including ,as many "newbies" do, the Celestron power tank and lens/filter kit, then I would add $100.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics