•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Denkmeier Hi-Def UHC Filter?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heitman

Heitman

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Reeds, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hi,
I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on the various UHC Narrow-band filters, and was curious if anyone has firsthand experience with the Denkmeier Hi-Def UHC Narrow-band filter. Thanks, Tim

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

OK, the specs sheet shows a filter bandwidth (Full Width at Half Maximum) of about 397 angstroms which is a little too broad to make a good narrow-band nebula filter. It also shows a peak transmission of 100% which might be stretching believability a little, as most quality production interference filters with this kind of bandwidth rarely have peak transmissions much higher than 97%. It is a "compromise" filter with a bandwidth between that of a broad-band LPR filter and a narrow-band nebula filter. In short, it is a "jack of all trades, master of none" when it comes to a filter for deep-sky objects. It will dim continuum objects like star clusters and galaxies more than the broad-band LPR filters do. It would work on emission nebulae to some degree, but won't quite provide as much of a contrast boost as a true narrow-band nebula filter like the DGM Optics NPB, Orion Ultrablock, or the Lumicon UHC filter (the "true" UHC filter). If you want a good nebula filter, I would recommend the DGM NPB, Orion Ultrablock, or Lumicon UHC as better alternatives. Clear skies to you.

#3 Heitman

Heitman

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Reeds, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thanks David. I looked at the spec sheet also, and it seemed a little wide to me. Just curious what others think about it.
Tim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics