First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#26 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Very ready Mike, I will be there Monday, Tuesday, Friday & Saturday. Gotta head back to Miami on Wed & Thurs. See you there :)

#27 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Sergio,

How far/long of a drive is it from Miami to Key West? Is the WSP near Key West?

Bill

#28 Julio

Julio

Messenger

• Loc: Pembroke Pines ,FL

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Awesome setup, i live in West Pembroke Pines and the skies are a bit darker up here. But really the best place is off alligator alley, nice and dark!

#29 Mike Harden

Mike Harden

Vendor - ISTAR Optical

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Myers, Florida

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hey Bill, The drive for Sergio is only about an hour and 45 minutes. The WSP is west of Marathon on the other side of 7 mile bridge. You would say the middle keys still a good distance from Key West. Dark and very steady skies. About 4 to 5 hours for me coming from Fort Myers.
Mike

#30 northernontario

northernontario

Apollo

• Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

That's a huge telescope....

and you are wearing shorts and sandles......

jake

#31 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

> and you are wearing shorts and sandles......

I know... wth... it can be dark, OR, you can wear shorts and sandles, but it can not be dark AND you wear shorts and sandles.

#32 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi Bill, like Mike said. Here is a map to give you a better idea...

Attached Files

#33 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

The distances are not long but the speed limits are slow and STRICTLY ENFORCED!!!

#34 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

> and you are wearing shorts and sandles......

I know... wth... it can be dark, OR, you can wear shorts and sandles, but it can not be dark AND you wear shorts and sandles.

That was just for a quick peek. One of my dark sites, Anne's Beach, in Islamorada, I would not only be wearing shrots and sandles but observing right on the beach and have pizza delivered!!! Oh of course, this is all after I stuffed my face with stone crabs!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: LOL!!! It's a rough life but someone's gotta live it. :grin:

#35 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

..But really the best place is off alligator alley, nice and dark!

A chill runs up my spine when I think of being at a dark location that goes by the name "alligator alley"!

Years ago while having the pleasure of visiting David and Wendee Levy in Arizona, I noticed some chicken-wire like fencing running behind the house. I asked if it was to protect a garden from varmints, and he responded without missing a beat "Nope, its to keep scorpions out of the observing area". Double yikes!

Maybe I'm just a wuss, but now consider myself fortunate to share my backyard observing area with nothing more intimidating than the occasional raccoon, skunk, or flatulent deer! :help:

#36 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Paul, it's not as bad as it sounds. I have observed at a place called Area 51 which is right off of Alligator Alley and has a canal running next to it. In the canal you can see alligators poking their heads out but they really don't bother anyone. Of all of my observing experiences in wild Florida locations, I have not had any issues with wildlife whatsoever. The only animal that concerns me is if I would run into a raccoon with rabies.

#37 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

You think so, eh? :grin:

I'll try and get you a shot of an Astro-Physics 206mm in action. There will be one in these parts shortly. The 175mm looks big enough. I can only imagine how huge the 206mm will be.

Even the 175mm, though, is too big for routine travel, IMO. Love these big scopes, but over 6" for me begs for a permanent installation - or a kayak rack on top of the car and missle nose-cone shaped dust caps.

One day I'll have an observatory...*sigh* Until then, I'll admire folks with more gumption than I have for transporting truly large refractors.

Regards,

Jim

#38 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Jim, The 206mm seems quite un-photogenic. I was curious after your post, but could only find one with a person in the pic as reference. Second pic from the bottom!

Mike

#39 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Jim, The 206mm seems quite un-photogenic. I was curious after your post, but could only find one with a person in the pic as reference. Second pic from the bottom!

Mike

Here's Marty's 206 on the showroom floor at Company 7. I'm 6' 2" for reference, it's definitely a two person setup and takedown scope.

Attached Files

#40 JJK

JJK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

I'll try and get you a shot of an Astro-Physics 206mm in action. There will be one in these parts shortly. The 175mm looks big enough. I can only imagine how huge the 206mm will be.

Even the 175mm, though, is too big for routine travel, IMO. Love these big scopes, but over 6" for me begs for a permanent installation - or a kayak rack on top of the car and missle nose-cone shaped dust caps.

One day I'll have an observatory...*sigh* Until then, I'll admire folks with more gumption than I have for transporting truly large refractors.

Regards,

Jim

I have the 175 f/8. It never complains about traveling in my station wagon.

#41 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I have dearly enjoyed the views is my little AP 130 EDFGT I waited 9 years for. I have only seen the AP 175 when Roland had it on display at NEAF and at ASAE. He wasn't giving out views at either event- NEAF due to a history of lousy seeing (which Markus was unfortunately able to verify) and at ASAE they had a compressed schedule. He claimed it had better color correction than the current 130, which is quite a claim.

My old Ford Bronco was going to go to help fund it if I had been picked up on the lottery.

Thank you for reporting on viewing with it. It is good to see it has an owner who supports AP's vision such instruments need to get used.

As for observing in the Keys, Marathon, half way down the string, has seemed to me to be a really good place for a star party. Key West is very touristy in comparison. And Marathon is a much shorter drive.

-Rich

#42 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Regards,

Jim

The 175 fits in my wife's SUV without any problems, but it is the largest scope I would feel comfortable setting up by myself.

#43 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

... One day I'll have an observatory...*sigh*

Jim,

For years, this had been the basis of my "observatory", though eventually "upgraded" with a canvas sailcloth covering in lieu of Hefty Bags... oh the ignominy!

Though now more able to acquire heavy-weight gear, I'm increasingly less enthusiastic to schlep it around. :pulpdnc:

Paul

Attached Files

#44 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Sergio and Mike,

Thanks for the helpful information. Maybe some day I will get to come down to the WSP..probably after I retire in about 4 years.

Bill

#45 peleuba

peleuba

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern PA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

:

The 175 fits in my wife's SUV without any problems, but it is the largest scope I would feel comfortable setting up by myself.

Why on Earth set it up by yourself?! I could be in your neck of the woods in a couple of hours to help you set the scope and mount up! I'd probably buy dinner, too. :)

#46 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Nice photos guys, thanks for posting, always enjoy hearing about the views through one of these beauties. I am also 100% visual, the longer focal ratio of the AP 160 and 175's are great for us.

Sergio I'm glad to see that your friend knows how to dress for Astro-Physics viewing - I know I always go with AT LEAST business casual for my sessions ;) ;)

#47 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Any serial numbers of these latest 175 OTA's? Anyone know for sure if the production is complete?

Just wondering.

#48 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Production is not complete, there are still some waiting on theirs.

#49 Joe C

Joe C

Ranger 4

• Moderators

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I can confirm that production has not been completed. It will be at least a few more weeks.

#50 Dwight56

Dwight56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Looks like 5 more AP 175's are being delivered over the original allotment. :grin: I hope to see pictures and stories soon an CN :jump: :roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics