• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldbaldeagle

oldbaldeagle

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hello
I'm trying to get my new 6E aligned with my new Telrad (along with 4" riser). According to Company 7 (Telrad manufacturer http://www.company7....ts/telrad.html) the reticle pattern can be aligned during daylight. Yet, even at full power , in daylight I'm unable to see the pattern. Would you folks have a "best practice" on properly doing this task? And is daylight not an option or is my Telrad not working correctly?
Thanks in advance.
Cronan

#2 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

First, be careful when using a telrad during the daytime. If the reticle gets direct sunslight it can be ruined. Make sure that you have good batteries. With it turned on at maximum brightness, look down from the top and see if you can see the reticle displayed. If you can't see the reticle looking down into the telrad then you have a problem with the led/reticle.
I don't recommend using it for daytime alignment, it's too easy to do at night with just a few minutes and a low powered eyepiece.

#3 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Well I cannot see well the dot or rings in my scopes' RDF or Telrad outside on a sunny or bright overcast day.At the very least try to set up the 6SE and Telrad under as shaded a spot as possible perhaps by bringing out the patio umbrella.Or set up the 6SE in interior hallway with the lights off and align on a distant object visible through a window or doorway.

You are just trying to get a finder alignment so forget all the advice about not viewing through a window.

You can touch up the Telrad alignment on the Moon or a bright star in the evening.

#4 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Bore site it ... simply look thru the scope at an object at a distance and then align the Telrad so that object is visible somewhere close to the center of the telrads "window"...you do not even have to power on the telrad

Take it off the raiser to do this.. its just easier to use the regular base ...

When its dark you can install the raiser and adjust it in seconds...

Bob G.

#5 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I try to align my scope and finder during day light, one less last minute thing to do as the daylight fades. That's why I use a regular RACI finder or straight through 9x50 for most occasions Telrad does not work well under these circumstances and I find the awkward head position I need to see through the telrad even with a riser make it at best a secondary finder.
Be Well
Grey

#6 oldbaldeagle

oldbaldeagle

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

thanks to all for the help.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics