Orion Maksutov 180 focuser upgrades

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rg55

rg55

Viking 1

• Loc: western US

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Would love to hear from those of you with ideas and experiences. I have a motofocus on my C8, don't see them readily available for the 7" Orion mak. I have a William Optics focuser, heavy but sensitive, I can add to it, but would rather keep weight and length down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

#2 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

I'm xurrently on my second 180. On the first I tried a Borg helical focuser (the cheapest one in theor range) but it wasn't heavy duty enough. The standard focus was actually pretty good as was.

On my current one I use a Revelation Superfocus rack and pinion. It's strong, heavy duty, smooth and accurate. Love it! It also serves on my M603.

Ant:cool:

#3 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

focus knob looks strikingly familiar to Celestron's current offerings. Can be motorized the same way (fairly easy).

#4 rg55

rg55

Viking 1

• Loc: western US

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thanks, Spyke/Ant and Rigel. It looks like the Superfocus is much like my William Optics unit. Is there some kind of mirror lock involved?

Rigel, I may see if my existing Motofocus will work on it. Would be lovely if so.

#5 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

No mirror lock is required. You can use the standard focuser to get near the focus point, then use the externally fitted focuser to fine-tune it. When mounting the focuser I always put it on set about halfway through it's travel so I can adjust either way.

The standard focus on the 180s is plenty good enough to get real close to focus, and perhaps just use the fine-focus on a 2-speed focuser (Crayford or R&P) to get it "just so".

The initial focusing, using the standard focus knob on the telescope itself may or may not incur some "mirror slop". The final focusing using the external focuser, will definately not.

Ant:cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics