Observatory - Tripod on floor, no pier

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RGM

RGM

Viking 1

• Loc: Burks Falls, Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I am planning on building an observatory to house 2 scopes. One is my 10" Dob, and the other is a refractor on a G11 EQ mount.

My initial thought was to biuld a pier for the G11 and a ground mounted pier for the Dob. In both cases this would isolate the scopes from the floor of the observatory.

The observatory will be wood framed with an elevated (corner supported) wood frame floor covered in plywood. Both scopes are just for viual and 98% of the time I will be alone.

My question is - has anyone just put their tripods (G11) or Dobs directly on the floor? I could use vibration pads on the G11, or build plywood/foam sandwich platforms to help isolate the scopes for the floor.

I do not want to go to the expense and time to build piers if just putting the scopes on the floor will work reasonably well.

Any thoughts or first hand experience will be greatly appreciated.

#2 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

My CG5-GT tripod sits on my Obs floor. The floor has those interlocking foam tiles on it. Works great for refractors/newts. My CPC8 is on a pier/wedge.

#3 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I have a large dobsonian telescope in a dome that has a wood floor. At no point is the floor more than a few inches above the ground surface. The floor also is reinforced in the center with 4 additional posts, so that the area beneath the scope has very little span between those joists. The floor surface is heavy 3/4" plywood--not individual boards. This arrangement has worked well for visual usage and even for multiple observers as long as folks don't move around too much.

For astrophotography you have a whole different situation assuming you would like to take longer exposures (i.e deep sky images rather than planets). Then you need a concrete floor or a pier because every time you twitch a body part, the exposure is likely to be ruined.

JimC

#4 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

My 8'X10' foot observatory houses a 12" dob, 90mm F11 refra,on a GEM tripod or my nexstar 5i on a tripod only 1 of these scopes can be set up in the observatory. The floor framing is all 4"X4" PT This is covered with 1" rough cut pine planks plus a layer of 3/4" OSB Making the floor quite stable I can sit at my desk and work on or keep track of my capture program without bothering my 30sec. x 20 exposure runs.And see no issues with visual observing as long as my 7 year old grand daughter's not helping. I'd rather have her company at the scope than perfect skies any way. I do have plenty of deck space outside the observatory to allow at least four other scopes or Binos set up on a tripod so not having a pier has not hurt my views.

Attached Files

#5 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

With 1st layer of flooring
Grey

Attached Files

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Wow, now that's a sturdy floor! :bow:

#7 jazle

jazle

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

For visual you should be fine. And if you decide to do photography in the future, it's not impossible to cut out a hole, get a bucket and shovel, and dig a hole to pour a pier afterwards.

I contemplated putting two permanent piers in my tiny roll-off and decided instead to put in one large permanent pier and then build the floor strong enough to hold a tripod setup sturdy enough for most AP work if folks aren't practicing for Riverdance. So, I have 2x10's with 8' spans placed on 12" centers and then covered with 1 1/8" plywood.

#8 RGM

RGM

Viking 1

• Loc: Burks Falls, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for all the input. Jason, you are correct. I can always convert to a pier at a later date if necessary.

I think I will try without piers.

#9 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I have one scope on a pier and another on a tripod which has legs going to ground through the floor. I saw many folks doing this.

Alex

#10 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

If going through the efforts to build an observatory I would go ahead and put in piers isolated from the floor. That's what I did 20 years ago and have often been glad to only have to do it once!
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics